3 months ago
Site Based Engineering Design Manager
Job number: UK14042
Company/Division: Power Transmission Distribution
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, Yorkshire and Humber, Boston
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Site Based Engineering Design Manager to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Boston.
* The SBEDM is a project based role representing and responsible for the timely delivery of the design;
* The role is site-based for the duration of the construction project. The purpose of the role is to act as a local responsible person for the accurate and timely delivery of the design.
What you'll be doing
* Understand and identify project requirements for design and agree a division of
responsibilities for design work with the PDM;
* Act as the focal point for the project for all design activities on a project, tracking the programme, reporting and identifying critical activities;
* Understand changing project imperatives, including programme, cost and scope, and ensure these are understood by the relevant personnel in the Engineering Department;
* Provide overarching support to ensure that site works are carried out in accordance with the design and to an appropriate quality;
* Ensure that the project and the document control function works synchronously;
* Attend client and site meetings as a representative of the Engineering Department(s) or project as appropriate;
* Ensure the information from site to the design team and vice versa, including soil investigation and survey data, required to carry out the design is provided in a timely manner and to an appropriate quality;
* Undertake other such duties as may be required by the Project Manager, Professional Excellence Manager, PDM or Design Delivery Manager;
* Produce a regular reports on the projects main issues impacting on scope, programme, quality, risk and other relevant matters;
* Attend the weekly coordination and update meeting / phone call for discussion of the projects progress and main issues affecting delivery.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
* Project management, technical contribution to delivery of schemes on site;
* Good technical grounding and engineering in relevant discipline;
* Good communicator.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.