9 months ago
We are seeking a qualified Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) professional with experience in the civil engineering/construction industry to cover our regions in London and the South East of England.
As a SHEQ Advisor you will ensure that a balanced approach is applied between Safety, Health, Environment and Quality aligned to the risks identified on any given project in all activities undertaken.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Representing the first and main point of contact in the regions for all issues relating to SHEQ, promoting a positive attitude and proactive approach at all times.
* Providing specialist SHEQ input to all regional staff through advice, guidance and support at all stages of project delivery including pre-construction activities such as prequalification and tendering.
* Identifying areas that require specific SHEQ improvement and assisting in organising and implementing improvement actions, in conjunction with the regional operational staff.
* Recognise and acknowledge regional operational staff for good and best practice, initiative and effort.
* Bring examples of good and best practice to the Regional and National Forums for further promotion, recognition and implementation.
* Play an active role in the regional forums to share trends and lessons learnt and improvements across the construction division and wider Dawnus Group.
* Carrying out a program of SHEQ inspections monitoring compliance with legislation and Dawnus operational standards.
* Ensuring that, where working practices are observed that pose a significant risk to SHEQ standards, the operation is stopped and appropriate communication, support, advice and assistance is given.
* Ensuring that identified deficiencies are addressed appropriately, escalating significant or re-occurring issues to Senior Management and SHEQ Manager as appropriate.
* Providing internal training to the regional teams on SHEQ topics, liaising with other Regional Advisors and the Dawnus Training department as appropriate.
* Ensuring the implementation of the Dawnus incident/ accident process across the division with the prompt reporting of all incidents and accidents on the system.
* Working with Director(s) and the SHEQ Manager to determine and undertake an appropriate level of investigation following accidents and incidents.
* Supporting the Quality Manager in retaining Certification to ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
* Working with the Director(s), SHEQ Manager and SHEQ Champion(s) to review performance and drive divisional improvements as part of the SHEQ Forum process.
* Monitor current legislation and industry trends by maintaining links to industry bodies and associations to keep abreast of current industry trends and legislative changes.
* Evaluate and review supply chain performance by monitoring the standards and operations of subcontractors and agency personnel as part of the inspection programme implemented in the division.
* Carrying out a program of drug and alcohol tests in accordance with the Dawnus policy and process and in line with national targets.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
* Hold, or be working towards the NEBOSH diploma (essential).
* Hold, or be working towards an Environmental qualification.
* Be a member of IOSH.
* Experience of managing health and safety for construction/civil engineering projects.
* A practical approach to health and safety.
* The ability to be flexible in their approach to work and be able to prioritise as required to ensure delivery of the project.
* Can demonstrate experience in being an effective team player.
* Ability to build good working relationships within a team and with other staff and clients.
* Have excellent communication, presentation, planning and decision-making skills at all levels.
This role presents an excellent opportunity to join a growing company with opportunities for career development and progression. We offer an attractive salary with benefits which include a generous pension scheme, private healthcare, life insurance cover, and 35 days leave (including public holidays).
Dawnus is an Equal Opportunities Employer