4 months ago
We currently have a Customer Technical Support Engineer position available in GE Smallworld, a division of GE Power, providing software solutions to the Utility & Telecommunications industries.Based at our Histon facility, near Cambridge, reporting into the Customer Services Manager and working closely with the Product Support & Engineering functions as well as other delivery centers for process continuity to ensure we continue to build good working relationships & deliver a quality service.
* Provide first and second level support for problem resolution, including reproduction of customer issues, reporting defects and providing workarounds to customers (including patches)
* Interface with product support groups and development groups to facilitate case resolution
* Interpret customer needs, assess impact on the customer and prioritise accordingly
* Accurately record and document case activity in a web based issue resolution tool
* Diligently monitor case metrics as an indicator of performance, on time delivery of milestones, backlog and SLA span for support issues; utilization and productivity
Encourage customer feedback and escalate major, elusive or recurrent issues that affect customer satisfaction
* Provide feedback to development and quality teams and participate in Quality Audits, as necessary
* Perform on-site/remote customer support when required
* Good knowledge of, and adherence to, company internal systems and processes.
* Total commitment to integrity
* Participate in ‘Championing the Customer’ – devising customer profile reports, understanding user base and user workflows, top issues, site visits etc.
* Maintain awareness of relevant technical and product trends through self-learning/study, training classes and job shadowing
* Help grow team expertise through knowledge sharing (showcases, presentations, technical blogs)
* Contributing to wider Services project work when appropriate, such as testing activities as part of knowledge transfer
Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, or Engineering or other degree with relevant experience or equivalent level of experience (can be flexible).
* Experience of the electricity, telecoms and other utility domains
* External focus - creates processes with customer viewpoint and impact in mind and goes above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction
* Experience with technologies related to the Smallworld product suite, such as Java, JSF, Websphere, FME, .Net and Oracle preferable
* Relational Database skills
* Good presentation and excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
* Able to prioritise and multi-task
* Able to work as part of a team
* The following skills are particularly sought after:
A GIS/geospatial background is advantageous, experience of Smallworld GIS products and Magik language
* Experience of Smallworld 5 and Mobile Enterprise
* Demonstrable experience of providing customer support to GE’s direct Smallworld and Mobile Enterprise customers in the UK, Ireland and South Africa
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Locations: South Africa, United Kingdom; Cambridge, Cape Town, Johannesburg