4 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
An experienced Senior Transport Modeller is required to join an established and highly experienced transport team in Guildford. The local transport team offers clients a wide range of multi-disciplinary services including transport modelling (as well as development planning work involving site appraisals, transport assessment and strategy development, master planning, public transport studies and public consultation), and is complemented by our other offices nationally, including modelling teams in Basingstoke and London.
The successful candidate will be working within a highly skilled transport modelling team. The team is currently busy with highway transport modelling, scheme appraisal and assessment work for a variety of clients, including local authorities, government bodies and private developers.
The role presents an excellent opportunity to progress your career and work within a successful team of transport modelling professionals on a wide range of regionally, nationally and internationally based transport planning and modelling projects.
A typical week would include:
* Working on a range of public or private sector projects which includes transport strategies, major scheme development, options appraisal, business cases and demand forecasting across all modes of travel
* Active Project Management of your projects and management of project teams
* Assisting with scoping of client requirements for modelling, and specification of related model tasks
* Transport model development with tasks including but not limited to model building, calibration/validation, model testing and auditing, checking and analysis of model outputs
* Skills transfer to junior team members
* Interpretation of data and information, including preparation of technical reports and proposals for clients
* Contribute to our process of continuous improvement and knowledge sharing relating to transport modelling across our national transport planning business
Fostering client relationships and identifying work winning opportunities
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A degree (or equivalent) in a numerate, transport or related discipline
* Strong analytical skills
* Knowledge of transport policy, appraisal guidance and techniques.
* Task management experience, with the ability to deliver client satisfaction
* Good written and verbal communication skills especially experience in explaining transport modelling outputs to a non-technical audience
* In-depth experience in developing transport models from first principles including forecasting
* Ability to independently devise study methodology and apply in a non-transport context
* Proven ability to build, calibrate and validate transport models with minimum supervision
* Detailed knowledge and experience in strategic modelling using SATURN or VISUM and/or micro-simulation modelling using VISSIM or Paramics
* The ability to understand the inputs to transport models and how resulting outputs can be used creatively to underpin a range of investment decisions
* Economic appraisal experience such as TUBA, COBALT, MyRIAD, QUADRO and WITA
* Transport related MSc
* Knowledge and application of Green Book principles, DfT TAG transport appraisal and business case development
* APMP or Prince2 Project Management qualifications
Chartered status or equivalent with a relevant institution
The salary for this role is between £35,000 - £40,000 per annum. The closing date for this role is 06 June 2019.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.