9 months ago
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
About the Role:
Thales UK have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Systems Engineer to work within Defence Mission Systems (DMS), specifically our Maritime Mission Systems (MMS) business unit; a team dedicated to working on some of the next generation, cutting edge sonar technologies, delivering to both customers in the UK and worldwide.
Over recent years, MMS has successfully positioned itself in growth markets and has doubled in size over the past ten years; to continue to deliver and continue growth, the MMS business is introducing a new operating capability and team in our Crawley office, working in partnership with our current MMS teams in Manchester and Templecombe. This is a new position in which we are looking for an experienced Senior Systems Engineer, primarily to help deliver a new arm of Thales MMS from the Crawley site.
This is an exciting opportunity in an area of the business that currently is undergoing rapid and sustained growth.
As a senior member of the Systems community, the individual will be expected to be capable to take on the role of a Project/Product Design Authority for parts, or the whole, of a Sonar Design from bid to contract acceptance and completion. This will entail being responsible for Solution Compliance for a Bid or Project, acting as the primary technical leader of the bid or project team and acting as lead technical interface with the customer.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will work as part of a dynamic and agile team, collaborating with wider engineering teams in Crawley as well as other UK and international sites. The list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide for the expected duties of the role and grade:
* Analyses Customer needs/requirements and assesses Solution architecture and technical choices.
* Ensures Solution compliance with Customer needs, Product Policy, Make-Team-Buy (MTB) Strategy & applicable legislation, rules & regulations.
* Reviews the technical risks and opportunities and the related mitigation plans throughout the bid or project.
* Ensures best trade-off between Customer requirements & Product Policy consistent with schedule, costs, MTB strategy & risks/ opportunities.
* System definition activities – requirements definition, functional and physical definitions
* Preparation and presentation of system level design reviews
* Monitoring of emerging detailed design within various implementation teams – acoustic, hardware, mechanical, software etc.
* Ensures, with the support of Speciality Engineering experts & Safety/HSE stakeholders that Solution design takes into account contract requirements and applicable legislation, rules & regulations, including product safety & security and Environmental/HSE requirements & standards, and that related certification activities are performed correctly.
* IVVQ planning and execution, including platform trials from time-to-time
* Requirements sell-off and contract acceptance with customer
* Customer and end-user liaison
* Analysis of system performance
* Alignment of Product vs Project - Contribute to business strategy and product development as required.
* Sound understanding of the development life cycle and life cycle products.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
Thales is committed to hiring positive “can do” individuals with an eagerness to learn and shape change. We would not expect an individual to hold all of the below skills and experience but here are some of the key attributes we are looking out for:
* Bachelors Degree level or equivalent in engineering or relevant scientific discipline (Chartered Engineer or working towards would be desirable)
* Demonstrable relevant systems engineering design and development experience. Preferably exposure in the defence industry but considerate of applicants who have worked on similar complex systems with software content
* Sensor-based system domain experience (sensor, signals, radar, sonar etc.)
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate technical issues to team members, Design Authorities and varying levels of senior management.
* Proven track record of articulating/defining systems design i.e. production of design definition such as SSDD, ICD.
* Team player who can interface at all levels within an engineering and manufacturing company.
* Accountable and committed to excellence
* Agile and innovative.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. This vacancy also requires full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!