10 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
GG12 Senior Systems Architect
QinetiQ undertakes architecting across the defence and security domains helping to understand problems and develop solutions, either directly for the customer or as part of supply-side activity.
QinetiQ's systems architects are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to a wide range of customers, in support of their major acquisition programmes, and for developing our own range of world-leading products.
We are seeking to further bolster our capabilities in this area. Opportunities exist in several areas such as:
• Naval combat systems and unmanned vehicle systems
• Maritime test and evaluation systems
• Army command and communications systems
• Air ISTAR systems.
These opportunities exist at several of our sites, principally:
• Portsdown (naval and maritime)
• Bristol (army C2)
• Malvern (air ISTAR).
The vacancies are mainly within existing established areas of business working alongside other systems architects. Staff will be expected to enhance their proficiency through a combination of on-the-job training, formal training, and through mentoring from more experienced and senior staff.
Each of the application domains has established practices and defined approaches, for example:
• Use of MODAF
• Use of TOGAF and Archimate (air ISTAR)
• Use of UML or SysML (naval combat systems)
• Familiarity with ITIL and Agile techniques
• Awareness of relevant standards e.g. ISO 42010/42020/42030.
Candidates are expected to have knowledge of techniques, tools, standards and domain knowledge as appropriate for the application area. GG12 architects will be expected to be able to devise suitable architectural solutions, describe them using appropriate notations, and/or evaluate them using established good practice.
1. Devising of systems architectures (and/or related concepts) which capture the problem to be solved and/or essential features (form, structure, characteristics, principles) of the outline solution
2. Engaging with customers, other stakeholders, suppliers, other technical disciplines to help develop an appropriate understanding of the problem and to form the bases of viable solutions
3. Performing more than one of generating, elaborating and evaluating systems architectures
4. Directs technical documentation in support of work carried out
5. Delivers work and reports on progress to project leads and customers
6. Anticipates and escalates major problems with appropriate business and professional discipline staff
7. Plans and structures own work
8. Understands and applies relevant regulatory, safety and technical standards to work and supports compliance
9. Responsible for managing the output of assigned junior systems architects.
Particular skills/experience required:
1. Architecting of complex engineered systems
2. Naval combat systems/mission systems, maritime T&E, air ISTAR and/or army C2 domain knowledge
3. Architecture description using appropriate notations and tools
4. Architecture generation
5. Architecture evaluation techniques.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Natural systems thinker
• Enjoys addressing unknowns
• Able to partition between discipline technologies and integrate relevant disciplines using architecture as a basis
• Able to document and communicate architectures and architecting issues (such as safety, security, human factors)
• Able to manage multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists and a broad range of internal and external stakeholders whilst building and maintaining excellent relationships
• Able to employ excellent negotiation and presentation skills
• Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels, both internally and externally
• Leadership skills with confidence supported by professionalism and competence
• Self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
• Collaborative to build a ‘one team’ outlook
• Works flexibly
• Ability to (where required) work on several projects simultaneously
• Experience in at least one relevant application domain – we will consider individuals with varying levels of experience, including those moving into systems architecting from relevant backgrounds e.g. software architecting.
• Systems analysis skills
• System concepting skills
• Experience in the use of one or more of Architecture Frameworks, Architecture Description Languages, BPMN, Archimate, MOOD, SysML and UML
• Experience in using tools such as Enterprise Architect, System Architect, Rhapsody, Archi and BizzDesign
• Model Based Systems Engineering
• Knowledge of configuration management
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.
Experience and qualifications:
1. Degree Level qualification or equivalent
2. CEng or equivalent
3. Typically 6 to 9 years relevant experience in engineering/systems engineering (or relevant other technical discipline).
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading:
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club, Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance, Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local.