5 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile.Think groundbreaking.Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
As a Senior Engineer you will be required to closely support the Divisional Director in the day to day delivery of projects, and where appropriate will be responsible for the running of your own projects. You will be accountable for quality engineering input, and you will provide a valuable contribution toward the development of graduate and junior engineers, showing a willingness to develop your own technical knowledge and understanding.
A typical week would include:
* Preparing feasibility study reports to meeting brief requirements in the agreed format and reviewing with project leader.
* Working with client & design team to assemble a design specification compliant with the employer’s requirements, agree its format and content, and monitor and review its preparation ensuring delivery by the due date. Agreeing and monitor scope of works.
* Clearly defining building requirements and purpose of use with senior team member to allow detailed design.
* Carrying out detailed design to WSP and Building Regulations standard ensuring CDM, QA and technical review and sign off by project leader, including complex calculations and co-ordination issues.
* Gaining an appreciation of sustainability and incorporating requirements into project delivery.
* Reviewing and monitoring the production of calculations including QA, technical reviews and sign off.
* Coordinating project contracts documents (drawings and specifications) and reviews input from team members.
* Project managing small / simple projects, using applicable project management tools.
* Leading the design process and encouraging the rest of the team to deliver appropriate and cost effective solutions to the agreed programme.
* Follow in full the document control, archiving CDM and QA processes relevant to project work, ensuring drawings, specifications, reports and correspondence are issued, and filed in an appropriate manner, coach junior staff in their usage.
* Business and Team Functions: Flag up business development and additional fee opportunities to team leader; Develop positive professional relationship with client, communicating openly about project progress; Participate in team meetings, disseminate information within the team, and communicate with other teams in WSP; Manage delegated tasks to ensure that deadlines are met and flag resourcing concerns to team leader.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required
* Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales are met
* Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions
* Take responsibility for personal development and enable and support the learning of others
* Effective negotiation and persuading skills, able to manage and diffuse challenging situations
* Project a professional image to clients and colleagues
* Able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues, clients and contractors.
* Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate
* Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery.
* Have experience of the management of small to medium sized projects, both financially and technically
* Strong interpersonal / team working skills, with a good working relationship with all levels of the organisation, clients and contractors.
* Wide structural design experience in concrete, steel and masonry to British and Eurocode Standards.
* Familiarity with relevant structural design software packages such as Tedds, Tekla Structural Designer, AutoCAD, Revit
* Recently received Chartership status on in progress towards obtaining chartership with a professional body such as ICE or IStructE.¦ Degree Qualified
An important part of your role will be in developing and strengthening relationships with Clients through the attendance of client meetings and your contribution to project interviews. As such you will need to have excellent client facing and presentation skills.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.