8 months ago
We have an opportunity for a Senior Structural Engineer to join our highly regarded, award winning team in Plymouth, Devon (PL7 5BP) and become part of our thriving, independently owned multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of circa 500 staff, operating out of 16 offices in the UK.
The way we live and work is changing. Perhaps you are seeking more remote and flexible working arrangements. Maybe you are considering a new location and quality of life. Is now the moment to realise your aspiration to live in Devon/Cornwall?
At the time of writing we are working from home, but there is an appetite to return to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock office, when it is safe to do so. And this Hydrock office takes the form of a converted barn in Plympton at the foot of Dartmoor and its wild open moorlands, near the south Devon coast, the border with Cornwall and from a practical point of view, a few minutes from the A38, with plenty of free on-site parking, making it “commutable” from within a large radius of the office (although we anticipate a blend of home and office based working in the future/post pandemic).
Hydrock is an independently owned multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of circa 500 staff, operating out of 16 offices in the UK. We are one of The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For and a champion of well-being (note our recent Health and Wellbeing Leader of the Year award at the NCE100). We believe part of our success is looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing a service to a client or rewarding employment to an employee!
You can expect exceptional colleagues to work with and learn from and an interesting variety of challenging and sometimes prestigious projects. Local examples include: The UK Hydrographic Office, The Wave in Bristol, Exeter Royal Academy for Deaf Education, Oceansgate in Plymouth and Somerset Digital Innovation Centre. Being a multidisciplinary office, you will have the opportunity to work closely with other disciplines, including Building Services, Civil and Geotechnical Engineers.
What you’ll be responsible for
A combination of project delivery, managing and developing our people, looking after our clients and contributing to our brand and market position through delivering our values. Specific activities will include:
* Delivery of scheme and concept designs.
* Delivery of detailed design including full tender and construction packages.
* Preparation of calculation packages for submission to Building Control.
* Attendance at client, design and site meetings.
* Management and development of engineers and technicians.
* Liaison with statutory authorities, architects, the design team and contractors.
* Input to fee proposals, project bids and ITTs.
* Seeking and taking opportunities to develop your brand and ours at relevant events.
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
You’ll have a strong track record in project delivery and you’ll be developing the attributes we refer to above, around our people, our clients and building the business. Your profile might look like this:
* You will need to be a well-established senior engineer with significant consulting engineering experience in mainstream building structures projects.
* MEng/BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering.
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, with membership of the IStructE and/or ICE.
* Someone ambitious, who believes in our values and wishes to be part of Hydrock and our success.
* Developing marketing/ business development skills.
* Experience of running and managing projects (including delivery and commercial aspects).
* Self-motivated team player with good people skills.
* Experience of leading and managing a team.
* Strong communication, analysis, technical design and drawing skills.
* Ability to design through hand calculations.
* Understanding of UK BIM Framework requirements.
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2019 wrap up here). A genuine opportunity to create and to be recognised and rewarded.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary and employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in the office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer.