8 months ago
Category: Software Jobs
Senior Software Engineer
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Software Engineer focusing on Embedded Software in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
Applicants should be proficient in creating and developing software with particular focus on system architecture, implementation and verification.
The role involves:
* Architecting, implementing and verifying embedded software for our Dyson digital motor and related product control systems
* Driving the technical direction for new developments and ensuring that our software is developed both efficiently and to our software quality requirements
* Leading code and design review activities •Working with hardware, mechanical and other engineering disciplines to solve complex system level problems and find software solutions
* Documenting software requirements and architecture
* Generation of test specifications to ensure product reliability and robustness at key stages during code development. This includes the development of test environments including simulation, emulation and hardware/test equipment interactions.
* Minimum BEng/MEng degree in electronic engineering or other relevant discipline with industrial experience in a relevant industry Minimum technical knowledge
* In-depth knowledge of common software design methodologies and embedded software development in assembler and C.
* Familiar with the requirements for ‘hard real time’ embedded software applications and demonstrable experience of working within real time constraints.
* Ability to derive software requirements from product level requirements and derive own requirements when limited information is available.
* Detailed knowledge of low-level embedded microcontroller-based motor control systems and associated power systems.
* Significant experience of developing for ARM platforms including the Cortex M series.
* In depth understanding and application of version control systems, ideally Git.
* Use of lab equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements.
* Good understanding of basic hardware and its interfacing to software systems
* Experience with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Fisheye, Crucible etc.)
* Extensive experience of low level device driver software, boot code and bootloader system development.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you will be invited to join the company bonus scheme, get 27 days annual leave and you’ll qualify for life assurance. You will also have access to our free on-site gym with regular fitness classes (subject to membership availability) and two on-site cafés which cater to a variety of tastes. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.