12 months ago
We’re part of Europe’s leading entertainment and communications business. With over 22 million customers across five countries, we make life easier by entertaining and connecting people. It’s a genuine team effort. That’s why we want talented people, like you, to join us and help make the future happen.
Making bold decisions is a big part of our history – and with talented people like you on board, we’re confident it’s going to be a big part of our future. NOW TV is our exciting internet TV that’s revolutionising the sector with a bold approach, fresh ideas and the latest technologies. We’re transforming the way our customers view content by making Sky Movies, Entertainment and Sports available across a range of devices.
As NOW TV are part of the Sky family, you’ll benefit from either: free Sky Q (one off payment required for installation) or a NOW TV premium package as well as an excellent pension scheme and private health care. Plus, there’s a great range of other benefits to fit around your needs too.
Your key responsibilities:
As a member of the Video Player Team within NOWTV, you’ll help to maintain and support video players used by millions of users across multiple countries and developing tools to ensure a flawless user experience and perfect video quality.
- We focus on creating the right technical capability to serve our customers and engineering teams
- All our software is shared internally using practices more familiar to the world of open source
- We welcome contribution by Sky engineers outside of our local team
- We work with the consumers of our libraries to make our players are super easy to code with
- We work extremely closely with our back-end streaming teams to ensure the picture looks as good as when it was captured
- We engineer tools to help engineers integrating our libraries ensure they can automate their video test cases
- We champion innovation around the video players, especially around picture quality and reliability. We also look at how new devices might be supported
- Have a passion for software excellence, after all, our video player is the heart and soul of our applications
- Enjoy collaborating with others, reviewing code, giving and receiving feedback often
- Be able to make awesome short and longer-term decisions weighing up business and technical priorities
- Have excellent technical knowledge of Java for Android, Android SDK and Android Studio
- Know a little about video systems - We understand that we are a specialized team, if you know about any of the stuff below, great – bonus points for you!
- Video streaming formats such as: HLS, MPEG-DASH, SmoothStreaming, MP4, AAC, etc
- Content protection techniques:
- DRM – PlayReady, Widevine, FairPlay
- Video Codecs
- ABR algorithms
If you’re ready to work in a dynamic environment alongside talented people who take pride in delivering great results, apply today
Happy to talk flexible working
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Believe in better