11 months ago
Senior Software Developer
Job number: UK14578
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, Yorkshire and Humber, York
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Developer to join our Rail team to work in York.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Software Developer, you will have the following accountabilities:
* Development of designs based on basic requirements that complement the strategic objectives of the business and projects;
* Develop code to implement designs;
* Work with and mentor a team of developers to develop wider systems;
Key technologies including:
* Java/J2EE including Spring Boot;
* C# WebAPI using .Net Core;
* IT skills (Linux, Tomcat, Docker);
* Database interfacing (Oracle, PostgreSQL);
* Ability of work within Agile development lifecycle;
* Produce and maintain design and specification documents;
* Evaluation of new and emerging technologies;
* Any other ad hoc duties as and when required.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
* Relevant experience of systems and software development;
* Strong Maths skills;
* Produce high quality written materials;
* Good knowledge of development tools to support the development lifecycle of our products;
* Communicates well at all levels of the business.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.