about 1 month ago
UK - Billingham
Vacancy: Senior Scientist (Metals)
Location: Billingham, UK
Job Family: R&D.
Johnson Matthey are currently recruiting for two Senior Scientists. This is an exciting opportunity to join Johnson Matthey’s rapidly expanding Battery Materials business, which is a material science and electrochemistry-based business with global reach. This role will be at the heart of the activities focused on development and manufacturing of advanced materials for the fast-growing battery market, working in a lean team with a start-up mentality driving to become a world-class large-scale producer.
The purpose of these roles is to lead development of the scientific understanding necessary for eLNO process design. The process designs will be implemented in major new capital projects for the Battery Materials business. In this role you will lead a team of scientists in developing viable processes for the production of high purity base metal solutions from a range of impure raw materials, based on sound scientific knowledge and understanding through internal experimentation, literature research and external collaboration.
* Ensure hazards associated with all project activities are identified and managed. Carefully plan and manage experimental work to ensure full EHS compliance, including close liaison with offsite teams to plan the work, preparation of COSHH and risk assessments, and close attention to detail during the work itself.
* Formulate and oversee experimental programmes to inform process development and scale up to large scale production.
* Produce, analyse and synthesise scientific data to help inform and direct optimisation of critical processing parameters.
* Collaborate with the engineering team to investigate process parameters to support process design
* Report findings to the wider team in compelling, concise and accurate reports, presentations, discussions, etc
* Plan and conduct work to deliver process scale up projects against financial, quality and time metrics, to meet the committed timelines for the JMBM business plan as documented and monitored through the PMO.
* Provide technical knowledge for quality assurance processes such as FMEA’s
* Actively promote and facilitate meaningful exchange of information between scientists and engineers to optimise product manufacturability and economic scalability of process choices and to accelerate implementation at all production scales.
* Proactively seek synergies or learnings from other parts in the JM organisation that may have experience in related processes and technology platforms.
Are you the ideal candidate?
* Be educated to degree level in chemistry or a related scientific subject. Professional registration would be viewed as advantageous
* Have experience in leading others and managing, interpreting, and reporting scientific data sets
* Have experience in managing complex work programmes and projects with multiple internal and external stakeholders
* Have practical experience in upscaling inorganic chemical processes, with experience in nickel, cobalt or manganese chemistry considered especially advantageous
* Have experience in the development and/or scale-up of hydrometallurgical processes such as leaching and solid-liquid separation, with a working knowledge of dissolved metal extraction technologies
* Have a stringent attitude to working safely
* Have experience in analysing, interpreting, and reporting data
* Have close attention to detail and focus on quality of delivery, with excellent verbal/written reporting skills
* Be a strong communicator and team player
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. For more information, please contact -******* To apply please complete an online application.
Closing date for applications: 11 January 2021
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.