7 months ago
Requisition ID: 198460
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
- This senior position will report directly to the Project Director and will work within a team of rail related disciplines to support the Infrastructure business unit, business development and the execution of studies, all stages of Engineering Design for projects around the world.
- Supervise the self-perform design work and sub-contracted design for a broad range of engineering disciplines.
- Drives the engineering elements that form part of the overall project baseline and then delivers to the plan.
- Develops the execution plan that includes: staffing, office locations, communications, developing/ packaging the deliverables to meet procurement & construction needs, training and zippering plan.
- Plans and conducts independent work within the Infrastructure business unit requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Devises new approaches to solving problems.
- Broad working knowledge of precedents in the specialty area, the principles and practices of related technical areas and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines and functions.
- Plans and coordinates independent work requiring judgment and experience in the application and substantial adaptation of engineering techniques.
- Plans, coordinates and delivers engineering training through instructor led and virtual training sessions for the function.
- Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects which may include constructability requirements and technical reviews.
- Broad knowledge of precedents in the rail industry and all relevant disciplines applicable to rail engineering design.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Build, strengthen, guide and mentor the project engineering team
- Extensive experience of undertaking and managing self-perform rail design from feasibility to detailed design (including as-builts)
- Experience in providing support to the other departments through commissioning and Brining Into Use.
- Extensive knowledge of field engineering, construction and testing & commissioning (T&C) activities.
- Able to support whole life-cycle costings and feasibility assessments.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering for the project in collaboration with contracts, procurement, construction and T&C.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
- Manages work using appropriate 3-D CAD tools.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of current trends and implements this into practices and procedures.
- Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment or works.
- Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
- When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
- Assists in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
- Provides engineering support to proposal documents.
- Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
- Reviews and checks work of subordinate engineers.
- Support, as requested, the planning and coordination of non-project rail systems engineering work for the Infrastructure business unit.
- Knowledge of Rail Systems (RS) is expected. RS is defined as all railway infrastructure fixed equipment, including track, overhead line, signalling, telecommunications, control centre and on-board/mobile signalling and telecommunications equipment.
- Oversight and integrating the various engineering and systems engineering disciplines (HVAC, MEP, Rail Systems, Traction Power, Medium & Low Power, Rolling Stock and RAMS).
- Participates and supports the Technical Risk Assessments (e.g. HAZIDs, HAZOPs, IDCs/IDRs, QRAs) and drives completeness. Ensures engineering design and corresponding documentation are in compliance with the associated projects Quality Assurance plan and procedures.
- Supports and is accountable for the delivery of satisfactory safety assurance relating to the technical integrity of rail systems as designed, built, installed and tested.
- Has oversight of the complex interfaces with railway system design and the detailed design prepared by Bechtel and multiple design contractors on the project.
- Functionally reports to the Regional Manager of Engineering.
- Exercises both line management and functional direction over assigned Engineers, Engineering Supervisors and Project Engineers.
- Participates in contact with the client on matters relating to project engineering progress and quality.
- Oversees all rail systems design and construction technical coordination and interface issues.
- Directs and provides technical and administrative guidance to assigned Project and/or discipline Engineers in the management of the preliminary and detailed engineering design.
- Conducts quarterly performance reviews for direct reports and ensures the entire engineering project population are completed.
- Oversees Value Engineering exercises on projects.
- Supervise the preparation of, reviews and endorses bid analyses and recommendations for procurement of equipment material and services within engineering scope of responsibility.
- Check and ensure Engineering Quality Design of independent engineering firms that are carrying out the detailed engineering design.
- Ensure external design elements are delivered as the baseline.
- Manage technical reviews of contractors, shop drawings, product data, material samples, etc.
- Performs most assignments independently with instructions as to the general results expected.
- Receives technical guidance from Engineering Specialists or Supervisors on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed project plans.
- Provides technical direction and assigns work to subordinate engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who assist in performing specific assignments.
- Independently contacts vendor’s representatives and project field personnel to gather or give information.
- Contacts client counterparts as directed.
KEY SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to present complex matters (simplified) for Stakeholders, senior management and peers.
- Proven track record in delivering projects >£500m to budget and on schedule.
- Ability to develop the engineering baseline (scope, cost plan, schedule and execution strategy).
- Experience in managing value engineering exercises where savings have been materialised.
- Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
- Knowledge of CENELEC standards EN50126, EN50128 & EN50129.
- Understands the application of Engineering Department Procedures, relevant Bechtel design guides.
- Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of BIM (minimum, Level 2)
- Maintains a good knowledge of current trends in engineering design.
- Understanding of engineering planning and control methods including computerized methods.
- Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
- Understanding of industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the particular engineering discipline.
- Understanding the differences and commonalities in design requirements and certification in all global regions that Bechtel perform work.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
The above is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
- A professional chartership in an appropriate engineering discipline from a recognized Institution, OR
- Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering disciplines to meet job requirements, AND
- Practical work experience in design engineering or relevant equivalent experience in allied types of engineering sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineer.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others’ healthy and safety, including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role, by taking personal responsibility for working to Bechtel safety standards.
- Cooperate with Bechtel in all matters relating to health and safety
- Advocate and promote the company’s wellbeing, health and safety policies with your team, stakeholders and peers
Bechtel is an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.