5 months ago
Senior Quantity Surveyor
Job number: UK12318
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Commercial
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in London.
To ensure commercial & contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specified project or range of projects.
To provide guidance to other members of the Commercial/quantity surveying team and Project Directors/Managers on all aspects relating to commercial activity on a specified project or range of projects.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
* Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company HSE procedures and work instructions;
* Accountable for the activities of any directly reporting quantity surveying staff, including mentoring junior members of the team, and provide advice and guidance to other members of the team and to Project Directors/Managers, as required;
* In conjunction with the relevant Project Management team member, be accountable for the profitability of the project(s), and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the project(s) to ensure delivery of required margins;
* Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system, ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed;
* With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value;
* Continually monitor projected costs to completion in line with budget;
* Ensure that necessary interface information between customer, subcontractors and other departments is provided in a timely manner;
* Pro-actively monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner;
* Ensure contract variations are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with the customer in a timely manner.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
Substantial previous experience in Quantity Surveying within a relevant business environment and a valid CSCS card are required. Membership of a relevant professional body and/or relevant professional qualification is desirable, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE.
The following are essential requirements for the role:
* Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract;
* Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes;
* Significant knowledge of construction techniques on particular projects;
* Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to construction projects;
* Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials;
* Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts;
* Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement;
* Understanding of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties;
* Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office;
* People management skills, with the ability to build effective relationships at all levels;
* Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative;
* Enthusiasm and results focus, with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines;
* Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external customers.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to £2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.