about 1 year ago
Senior Project Engineer
Job number: UK12970
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Operational Specialists
UK, North West, Cheadle
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer to join our Regional team to work in the North West Region.
* To provide Management, leadership and control of a multi disciplinary team comprising Sub Agents, Section Engineers, Site Engineers.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Project Engineer you will:
* Live the BB Values;
* Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
* Support the delivery of BB Sustainability activities.
Health Safety & Environmental
* Sets targets and KPIs in line with Project / Business objectives and monitors performance;
* Carries out periodic Safety & Environment Tours as required by the Project H & S Plan;
* Leads / Reviews Accident / Incident Investigations. Reviews and appraises findings and leads / directs the appropriate action arising (HFACS and Four Page Reports);
* Appraises improvement options and leads action / instigates as appropriate;
* Leads periodic risk reviews and takes output forward to the Project Risk Register;
* Monitors effectiveness of the H & S Management System;
* Keeps up to date with changes in legislation and cascades information to the team.
* Ensures that sufficient resources are allocated to the Works Section and that each has an appropriate level of ability;
* Identifies and arranges training as required.
* ?A. Sets targets and KPIs in line with Project objectives and monitors performance
* ?A. Ensures site audits are undertaken and takes appropriate action on the findings
* ?A. Appraises improvement options and leads / instigates actions as appropriate
* ?A. Implements systems and processes
* ?A. Involved in working groups focused on Improvement Areas
* ?A. Overall ownership of Handover Documentation for Section
* Sets targets and KPIs in line with key outputs and monitors performance, reporting Section Progress;
* Carry out constructive analysis of fully resourced programme;
* Manages sub-contractor performance based on KPIs;
* Ensures production of operational target programmes to reflect overall construction programme;
* Chairs weekly team meetings to review performance on site.
* Sets targets and KPIs in line with budget forecast;
* Chairs weekly cost meetings and identifies improvement areas and allocates appropriate actions to team members;
* Prepares a cost plan and manages cost v value;
* Involved in the procurement of subcontractors and advises on commercial aspects / preferred attendances;
* Produces the risk schedule for section, reviews and updates.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems;
* Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity, including managing others in this regard;
* Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights;
* Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility and supervise others in this regard;
* Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. SMSTS qualified;
* Excellent team player and team leader, able to work competently and independently without supervision. Reports back as necessary to update Line Management;
* Able and willing to make decisions following consideration of options based on best available information;
* Strong communication skills with track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution;
* Excellent role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to business, project and team objectives.
Health Safety & Environmental
* Understands method statements and guides others in document production;
* Understands and can guide others in the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation;
* Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation;
* Proficient in the application of Company Systems;
* Innovative approach to enhancing safe systems of work .
* Experienced in resource allocation and up skilling.
* Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes;
* Clear understanding of the requirements for handover and self-certification of the works, including management experience of the same.
* Able to analyse and offer improvement on a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software;
* Understands sub-contractor KPIs and has experience of using them to manage performance;
* Able to dynamically shift programme and adapt to circumstances on site whilst maintaining focus on targets;
* Experience in the management of pavement reconstruction and surfacing operations, including phasing and contingency planning;
* Experienced in the management of varied infrastructure works, together with testing and handover.
* Used to setting targets in line with budget;
* Able to produce a realistic financial forecast and track progress against programme;
* Identifies elements for cost recovery from others and guides junior members of staff in maintaining project records;
* Working knowledge of the NEC and other relevant forms of contract.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.