5 months ago
Senior Process Development Engineer
£Competitive + bonus +pension+27 days holiday
Dyson is looking for a motivated Process Development Engineer to contribute to the design, development and validation of high volume precision industrial processes for use in a thin film manufacturing environment. The ideal candidate will have a broad skill set including laser processing, roll to roll conversion, materials and electro-mechanical systems. A successful applicant will join a fast paced and dynamic team already delivering against complex technical challenges.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
- Work autonomously and independently to the development of industrial processes, contributing to process inception, proof of concept, development and implementation on an industrial scale, with a specific focus on laser processes
- Meeting target specifications such as cost, speed and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project - Generating innovative solutions to complex problems
- Conducting & supporting research with external institutes and universities toward future technologies development
- Communicate clearly and effectively, the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Be responsible for delivering experimental results, parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle
- Develop models and simulations to demonstrate process performance
- Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas for new processes that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing
- Understand and apply engineering analysis to develop concepts and validate designs
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate transfer to other teams within Dyson
- A strong degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline
- Demonstrable experience of industrial process design and development
- Experience of laser process design and development, from a fundamental base
- Data analysis with MATLAB/Minitab/VBA/Excel etc.
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Knowledge of lean six sigma and design of experiment methodology
- Knowledge of roll to roll conversion processes
- Experience of electronic device design and manufacturing processes
- Experience of vacuum deposition technology and/or thin films
- Experience of semiconductor fabrication or MEMS devices
- Experience of devices that are designed around the sub-micron scale resolution
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.