about 1 month ago
We have an opportunity for a Senior/Principal Structural Engineer to join our civil and structural design team in Hale, Manchester (WA15 9NE).
Hydrock is an independently owned multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of circa 500 staff, operating out of 16 offices in the UK. We are one of The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For and a champion of wellbeing (note our Health and Wellbeing Leader of the Year award last year at the NCE100). We believe part of our success is looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing our services to a client or rewarding employment to an employee!
Our multidisciplinary team in Hale are logistics and distribution sector specialists and work with leading developers and contractors, to deliver high-quality, multi-disciplinary engineering design on some of the biggest and most notable distribution warehouse facilities and distribution parks in the UK. You can read more about the sector and our projects here. You will appreciate it’s been a growth sector for many years now and the current pandemic has only increased demand for facilities as we collectively buy more of our goods “online”. If you are considering civil infrastructure design (or if you have already gained some civil infrastructure design in another sector) this could be a great opportunity.
So, highly rated employer, growth sector, what else might be important? Professional development maybe? We have a wealth of experience in supporting people and you even have an ICE Supervising Engineer in the local team in Hale.
On a practical note, the office has good facilities to support you cycling to work as well as plenty of free onsite carparking. At the time of writing we are working from home but there is an appetite to return to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock Office when it is safe to do so.
Your role will include:
A combination of project delivery, managing and developing our people, looking after our clients and contributing to our brand and market position through delivering our values. Specific activities will include:
* Delivery of scheme and concept designs.
* Delivery of detailed design including full tender and construction packages.
* Preparation of calculation packages for submission to Building Control.
* Attendance at client, design and site meetings.
* Management and development of engineers and technicians.
* Liaison with statutory authorities, architects, the design team and contractors.
* Preparation of fee proposals, input into project bids and ITTs.
* Seeking and taking opportunities to develop your brand and ours at relevant events.
What skills and attributes are we looking for:
You’ll have a strong track record in project delivery and you’ll be developing the attributes we refer to above, around our people, our clients and building the business. Your profile might look like this:
* A well established and Chartered Engineer with significant building structures design experience in the UK.
* MEng/ BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering.
* Someone ambitious, who believes in our ethos and wishes to be part of Hydrock and our success.
* Developing marketing/ business development skills.
* Experience of running and managing projects (including delivery and commercial aspects).
* Self-motivated team player with good people skills.
* Experience of leading and managing a team.
* Strong communication, analysis, technical design and drawing skills.
* Ability to design through hand calculations.
* Understanding of BIM requirements up to and including Level 2.
* Chartered Membership/ Associate Membership of the IStructE/ ICE.
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2019 wrap up here). A genuine opportunity to achieve and to be recognised and rewarded merit.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary, employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in every office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage you to talk to us about the working arrangement that best enables you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
* Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within one week.
* If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
* If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices (if possible and in line with Covid-19 guidelines). Please let us know what you feel comfortable with.