8 months ago
Title : Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-29555
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Mechanical
Position Type : Agency / Contract
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer with extensive experience in the nuclear industry.to support a number of exciting opportunities for a leading Nuclear Client on the Birchwood site.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you, as a Senior/ Principal Mechanical Engineer, to support a range of interesting and challenging projects in the decommissioning business.
Ideally the candidate will have a proven track record of working on projects of different sizes and has effectively worked with other disciplines such as Safety, CS&A, Process, HVAC, Construction and Commissioning teams. Experience of providing mechanical expertise to support one or more phases of the project lifecycle would be advantageous. The candidate must be willing to work for a variety of customers and to work on client premises as required.
Skills / Qualifications
A general mechanical engineering background is essential, but specific mechanical handling experience would be advantageous. It is expected that applicants will have:
* A degree qualification or equivalent (e.g. HNC/HND with significant experience) in relevant engineering discipline with typically more than 10 years design delivery experience.
* Previous experience leading small teams of mechanical designers.
* Experience in the nuclear industry and familiarity or previous design experience with plants on the Cumbria, North West site.
* A sound engineering background with knowledge of general mechanical design aspects such as material selection, tolerancing, geometric tolerancing, surface finishes, and welding.
* Familiarity with crane and lifting equipment design, as such knowledge and past experience using crane and other design specifications and guides e.g. BS2573, The Machinery Directive, LOLER, and PUWER.
* Previous experience involving the design of mechanical/ electrical machinery.
* Competent and proven design engineer, capable of producing designs, schemes, drawings, and supporting calculations who is familiar with the roles and application of the CDM regulations.
* Previous experience producing design packages, suitable for manufacture and installation, containing drawings, method statements, risk assessments etc.
* Familiarity with safety case principles and capable of providing design substantiation for equipment with designated nuclear safety functions.
It is preferred that the candidate has:
* Proactively mentored other engineers as required for the benefit of the project and business.
* Chartered Status.
* Familiarity and experience of working and complying with applicable Cumbria, North West practices, standards, and engineering guides.
* Familiarity and experience of designing equipment for in cell applications involving remote maintenance and operation
* BPSS minimum security clearance with ability to achieve SC level.
* A current P1 Pass.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.