about 1 year ago
Title : Senior/ Principal Marine Consultant
Requisition ID :2018-23503
Work Location :GB-Various
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-Avon-Bristol
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
We are looking to recruit a Senior/Principal Marine Consultant to join our team and help expand our portfolio of marine projects across the sectors. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the continued success and growth of a reputable and successful team as well as contribute to a wide range of high-profile projects across Wood’s business. This role can be based in any of our UK offices.
You will join an enthusiastic and supportive team and will experience a challenging and fulfilling working environment. There are significant opportunities for ongoing and structured career development across the wider Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions consultancy business.
Ideally, this role would be based in our Reading or Bristol office, although other office locations (Newcastle or Edinburgh) would be considered for the right candidate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
To support the delivery of large scale marine and coastal infrastructure projects, in the following areas:
* Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) coordination and delivery
* Involvement in stakeholder meetings and preparation of materials to support external consultation, including the Evidence Plan Process and Examination Phase of DCO projects
* Technical review of reports and quality assurance of deliverables
* Provide support on associated assessments e.g. Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA), Water Framework Directive (WFD), European Protected Species (EPS) and Marine Conservation Zones (MCZ)
* Commercial and financial budget management
* Programme management to ensure delivery programme is maintained
* Provision of marine and environmental consenting and planning advice
* Post-consent compliance
* Build relationships with both statutory consultees and other groups/members of the public at external events
* To provide technical and/or management support to other team members
* To support marine business development in line with our marine business strategy
* Liaison with other internal teams in particular planning, technical and onshore EIA teams
Skills / Qualifications
The role requires excellent reporting and communications skills and the ability to work collaboratively within a team, seeking technical input from other disciplines to deliver carefully considered solutions to produce high quality work.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
* Degree qualified to MSc, PhD level or equivalent in a marine discipline, e.g. marine biology/oceanography
* A marine technical background and significant experience of managing projects in the marine and/or coastal environment
* Project management experience including management of subcontractors and associates financial management and administration
* Understanding of the EIA process
* Experience in the drafting and production of Scoping/Screening reports, ES chapters, technical reports and in undertaking the assessment of effects in the marine environment
* Knowledge of UK and European legislation in relation to protected habitats and species including knowledge of the HRA process
* A knowledge of one or more of the following would be advantageous:
* marine water and sediment quality;
* underwater noise and resultant impacts to fish and marine mammals;
* marine planning;
* high level knowledge of marine coastal processes and experience in the interpretation of coastal processes assessment outputs to assess the effects on marine ecology.
* Experience in marine or coastal projects in at least one of Wood’s core sectors or demonstrably transferrable experience from other sectors. Level of experience will dictate staff grade
* Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a growing team
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.