3 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
As a Senior/Principal Electrical Engineer, you'll join our team in Birmingham working on a range of projects across the following industries Pharma/Biotech, FMCG and Process.
You will also be willing to work in Wrexham a minimum of 3 days per week.
A typical week would include:
* Providing electrical engineering expertise for industrial projects with particular emphasis on the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, fine chemicals, food and process related industries.
* Establishing client requirements and delivering engineering design solutions.
* Applying technical judgment and resourcefulness to investigations, feasibility studies, concept and scheme designs, detailed design and construction support phase of projects.
* Undertaking electrical design work for projects including the design and specification of the following:-
o Packaged Electrical sub-station (11kV / 400V)
o 11kV switchgear and cabling
o 11kV/LV transformers – oil and dry cast resin type
o LV switchgear and distribution systems
o Power factor correction equipment
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Commercial experience in electrical engineering design on capital projects.
* Good knowledge and experience of electrical engineering design in fine chemicals, pharmaceutical, oil & gas, and/or food industries.
* Significant electrical project experience in particular experience of UPS, generator and 11kV projects
* Design capability, in particular Amtech experience to integrate new design into existing Amtechs
* 11kV / LV Cable sizing using AMTECH power software
* HV experience and ideally C&G6037 cert or at least HV trained within last 4 to 5 years
* GMP experience or Nuclear
* Experience of 11kV/LV fault level calculations and protection studies
* Lighting design experience
* Good knowledge of motor controls including variable speed drives
* Experience of electrical design in ATEX hazardous areas
* Experience of having worked within a contracting organisation.
* Good interpersonal skills and able to work as part of a multi-discipline team. Versatile, reliable and resourceful.
* Personal qualities that include the ability to gain trust and confidence with a variety of clients as well as within the company.
* Customer focus, commitment to quality management and problem solving.
* Ability to operate as a lead engineer on a variety of projects.
* Degree qualified in electrical engineering Chartered Engineer (MIET) desirable (or working towards)
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.