7 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
As a Senior Piping & Mechanical Designer, you’ll be part of the design team within WSP Industry, preparing drawings with calculations, technical design, layout design using available CAD/CAE methods and complete work within the programme and allotted hours. Experience within the pharmaceutical industry is particularly sought.
The role will apply at various project stages - feasibility studies, concept and scheme designs, detailed design and construction support phase of projects.
A typical week would include:
* Preparation of drawings mainly using CAD systems – PFD’s, P&ID’s, HVAC schematics, plant layouts, pipework & ductwork layouts, supports and equipment, briefing drawings
* Preparation of design calculations
* Assist with preparation of datasheets, specifications, material take-offs and schedules
* Checking of drawings and designs
* Process plant layout development and design
* Site surveys, inspection at suppliers and on-site design support during construction
* Specific assignments on construction sites during installation
* Inter-discipline co-ordination and clash checks (manually & 3D model)
* Implement company quality procedures and client design standards
* Work as Lead Designer on selected projects, with responsibility for coordinating and supervising other designers and design activities within a project task force
* Designer Risk Assessments (CDM Regulations)
* Input to development of CAD systems including 3D modelling and intelligent P&ID systems
* Input to the development of apprentices and junior designers
* To ensure that safety issues are fully considered within projects including CDM duties as Designer
* Work closely with engineers and project managers
* Attend meetings with suppliers in office and at site
* Customers at all levels
* Close coordination with other designers and disciplines
* Day to day liaison with other discipline engineers, designers and project managers
* Interface with other company offices and teams
Most of our Industry work is in complex projects, often within a facility which continues to function. We work across a number of key market sectors to include Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology, Industrial and Chemical, Energy and Waste, Food and Consumer Products.
The service provision covers a wide range of consultancy and project delivery services which may be provided as separate elements or through integrated multi-discipline teams on EPCM delivery.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
Desired Skills and Experience:
* Significant experience and demonstrable proficiency in process plant design
* Specific expertise in the design of process plant and pipe work in the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, food and chemical industries
* Specific experience required in the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industry, including use of ASME BPE
* CAD experience required:- AutoCAD, AutoCAD Plant 3D and Revit MEP, Intelligent P&ID’s
* Experience in pipework design, supporting and layout in accordance with national standards including ANSI B31.3. Good knowledge of materials of construction, construction techniques and piping standards
* Experience and good understanding of Designer responsibilities under CDM Regulations, design safety procedures
Minimum HNC in Mechanical Design
•Ability to work in complex organisations in a team environment and develop relationships and rapport with external clients and internal colleagues
•Willingness to travel and stay away from home at times to support construction sites
•Able to work as part of a multi-discipline team
•Ability to organise and lead design on a variety of projects
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.