about 1 month ago
About the Role:
Our Highways team in London is expanding rapidly to meet the significant workload we have secured locally and across the South of England
We are seeking a Senior or Principal Engineer with experience in the Highways Sector to be part of this established and experienced team working on exciting highway projects. Due to recent successes the team is growing and offers excellent opportunities for the right candidate seeking new and exciting opportunities.
You will form part of an existing team to deliver a varied programme of highway and transportation schemes for a wide range of public sector clients across both the local and strategic highway networks..
The successful candidate will develop and deliver projects through various stages of design from feasibility to planning/detailed design and onto construction. You will also be required to support the Group Managers in leadership of people, projects, clients and business performance across the South of England with particular responsibility for London
A typical week would include:
You will be required to manage programmes of work and prepare designs and specifications. Duties will include:
1. Undertaking services within an engineering environment which may include (but not limited to); scheme investigation, organising site inspections, data collection and analysis, works/construction inspections and supervision to progress scheme design, development and construction
2. Leading the delivery of technical outputs within project teams; developing highway designs in accordance with the DMRB using AutoCAD, MX and/or Civils 3D.
3. Production of technical reports as required
4. Taking a leading technical role on projects for Highways England and Local Authority clients
5. Client liaison as necessary to deliver the schemes/projects
6. Accountability for checking, certifying and authorising for issue designs, documents, approvals, and reports.
7. Technical input to the agreement and pricing of project briefs, proposals and deliverables with Project Managers.
8. Mentoring and supervising the output of junior staff
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
The successful candidate will preferably be degree qualified in civil engineering or another appropriate subject and be a Chartered or Incorporated member of an appropriate professional engineering institution.
You will be capable of working to tight project time scales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach. Evidence of good communication and team work skills will be sought.
Ideally you will have experience in the preparation of highway design for major and minor infrastructure projects from conception through to construction. Experience of managing a team of Engineers, Technicians and Graduates would be advantageous.
Specific attributes include:
* Degree qualification or equivalent
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status of an appropriate institution or demonstrable experience.
* Proven experience in the technical and commercial management of highway projects
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Full, clean driver’s licence
* Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
* Confidence to seek clarification of instructions and work scope
* Skills in one or more industry standard design software
* Proficient in use of standard office software
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.