4 months ago
Our national Geo Division is having a strong year and have a fantastic opportunity to grow the team.
Right now, we’re looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Senior / Principal Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our team in Wetherby, Leeds, LS22 5NB. In September this year our Wetherby office is relocating to new offices in Leeds city centre, designed for hybrid working following the pandemic.
Geotechnics is one of our core disciplines at Hydrock. It is where we came from (both the CEO and MD have a ‘Geo background’) and it accounts for around 30% of our business today. Despite the current market conditions, the division has remained very busy throughout the year and with a growing order book, it’s time to invest in an additional geotechnical colleague. You must be a talented geotechnical designer and you’ll probably be stimulated by working on complex projects like SEGRO Logistics Park East Midlands Gateway (SLPEMG), a 700-acre development with planning consent for up to 6 million sq. ft of logistics development. It is a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP). You’ll be working on similar schemes when you join us.
Hydrock is an independently owned multidisciplinary consultancy, of circa 550 staff, operating out of 18 offices. It is one of ‘The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For’ and a champion of well-being (note our Health and Wellbeing Leader of the Year award at the last NCE100). We believe that part of our success is looking after our people, and our core values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Our values include having fun, giving something back and our families coming first- check-out all 10 here (and don’t miss the Challenge Day video on the same page!).
At the time of writing, we are essentially working from home but there is an appetite to return to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock office, when it is safe to do so (although we expect a blend of office and home working in the future).
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
* As a geotechnical engineer applying for this role, you will need to be at senior or principal grade and able to act as the lead geotechnical design engineer on projects.
* Geotechnical design experience including writing Ground Investigation Reports, Geotechnical Design Reports and Earthworks Specifications (in accordance with DRMB CD622 and EC7).
* Substantial consultancy experience gained in the UK.
* A strong ground modeller, with working knowledge of GEO5, VDisp (or similar) and a range of standard geotechnical software.
* Experienced and capable at scoping and delivering geotechnical ground investigations for a variety of purposes.
* Experienced in writing Specifications and the design of geotechnical structures (i.e., foundations, ground improvement, slopes, embankments, cuttings, gravity structures, soil nails, rock anchors, imbedded retaining walls etc).
* Experience in designing earthworks for large schemes incorporating analysis of ground bearing floor slabs and foundations and writing specifications in accordance with the MCHW.
* Use of Auto CAD and or Civils 3D to produce drawing packages for design and construction.
* BEng, BSc and preferably an MSc in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering and a Chartered Engineer.
* Self-motivated team player with good people skills.
* Integrity and credibility - people want to work with you (customers and colleagues).
* Believes in our ethos.
What you can expect
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A good team, office and employer (check out our 2020 wrap up video here). A genuine opportunity to create and to be recognised and rewarded.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary and employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in the office.
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage everyone to talk to us about any ideas which enable you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
At the time of writing, we are working from home but there is an appetite to return to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock office, when it is safe to do so (although we expect a blend of office and home working in the future). You’ll travel within the UK as you feel appropriate to deliver.
* Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within two weeks.
* If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
* If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices (if possible and in line with Covid-19 guidelines). Please let us know what you feel comfortable with.