11 months ago
Senior MEP Design Manager
Job number: UK13848
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, West Midlands, Solihull
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior MEP Design Manager to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in London/Reading. The position will see you in Central London for early stage design meetings for the first year with a move to site near Reading.
What you'll be doing
The key areas of accountability of the role including business objectives, and client satisfaction:
* Reviewing tender design information and comments in relation to technical compliance and initiation of Value Engineering ideas. This to involve developing hand marked design solutions to support estimating teams on occasion;
* Liaising with estimating department members to ensure understanding of clients requirements and to review solutions. Review key plant and equipment selections at tender stage particularly related to VE or alternative design solutions;
* Developing and agreeing scope with Line Manager for the engagement of external design consultants and organisation of project agreements;
* Managing external design consultants performance during project delivery and supporting internal project team where issues arise;
* Managing internal supporting design management resources during larger projects delivery and ensuring they support internal operations team where issues arise;
* Developing and agreeing scope with Line Manager and BIM Lead the project BIM delivery requirements, plus monitoring of delivery during project stage, in particular the costs;
* Having a good understanding of DfMA and applying this to project solutions;
* Attending design and client meetings when necessary;
* Awareness of project design delivery requirements in line with programme;
* Following QA procedures.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* Qualified to HNC/HND through completion a technical apprenticeship, or BSc/BEng degree level in Building Services.
Specific technical knowledge/skills
* UK construction and in particular the building services industry;
* Extensive experience within the construction industry with some design experience from conception to completion of a contract;
* Understanding of design interface and site issues;
* Knowledge of codes of practice, British Standards, CDM and Building Regulations;
* Previous experience working within Defence Sector would be advantageous;
* Awareness/knowledge of environmental issues i.e. BREEAM.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to GBP2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.