4 months ago
AutoReq ID 133247BR
Job Title Senior Manager - Innovations, Reliefs and Incentives
Country United Kingdom
Service Line Corporate Tax
Service Line Information KPMG's Tax practice is a dynamic and successful area of our business. A constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of quality career paths to ambitious people.
Working in the Corporate Tax department at KPMG will give you the opportunity to develop relationships with clients as you help manage the amount of corporation tax they need to pay. This involves working with clients to produce complex tax computations and returns for HM Revenue & Customs, giving advice on corporate planning and restructuring projects.
KPMG Overview KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
The R&D team is looking to expand with the appointment of a Senior Tax Manager based in Reading. R&D Tax Relief provides an incentive to UK businesses carrying out qualifying R&D activity. The team works with businesses from almost every sector of the economy to identify their qualifying R&D activity, quantify it and obtain the R&D incentive relief for them, as well as working with clients to best leverage the Patent Box regime.
This Senior Manager level role is for a R&D claim specialist or engineer to work with the local incentives personnel to accelerate the growth of our business in this region. You will be required to use your knowledge and experience to help our clients in making claims for R&D Tax relief, as well as Patent Box claims.
You will also be required to:
- Work with the engagement team to develop claim methodologies and prepare R&D tax relief and Patent Box claims for submission to HMRC
- Manage overall client engagement, including liaison with KPMG and client staff
- Work with HMRC specialists to facilitate the agreement of R&D and Patent Box claims
- Advise client finance staff on the application of the R&D legislation and extract the costs to be claimed
- Build an internal network within the wider tax practice of the firm
- Help to establish and maintain strong client relationships with both existing and new clients
- Work with the KPMG technical specialists to ensure that eligible R&D Tax expenditure and Patent income is correctly identified.
- Lead in progressing business development opportunities and to pitch for work with both new and existing clients.
Qualifications and Skills
- Science or technical degree to 2.1 level
- Must have a detailed working knowledge of the R&D tax legislation and experience preparing R&D calculations.
- Excellent communication skills in a range of situations with internal team members and senior staff at the client. In particular having an ability to explain complex technical concepts in simple language
- The ability to deal with technical and finance staff on a one to one to basis, conducting structured discussions.
- Capable of producing documentation to a high level of quality for submission to HMRC
- Ability to guide and provide constructive guidance to junior grades to deliver high quality work to the client/HMRC and as part of their career development.
- Very good project management skills and an ability to manage own workload, as well as junior members of the team.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player
Experience and Background
- A successful track record of managing and leading delivery of R&D tax projects with a big 4 or mid tier consulting firm is an essential requirement.
- Experience of working in industrial product or process development
- Prior experience of managing/leading a team
- Project management experience
- Experience with preparing documentation for non-specialists
- Wider interest in R&D and technology development
Opening Date : 24/04/2018
Closing Date: 22/05/2018
Salary: Competitive Salary and benefits
Our Deal If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
Flexible Working While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies.
Tax, Claims, Consulting, Manager, Business Development, Finance, Insurance, Technology, Management, Sales