5 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
We have the UK’s largest team of development and transport planners, all dedicated to enabling our clients to create viable and deliverable developments which provide lasting social and environmental improvements.
We advise our clients from the earliest stages of development. We can unlock development land previously considered uneconomic or technically challenging, and are proud of our reputation for working with other professional teams to produce cost-effective, integrated solutions.
Our interpretation of the latest regulatory requirements, Planning Policy guidelines, knowledge of current best practice and our wealth of technical expertise means we can identify and assess development opportunities that deliver.
The Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing high level advice to mainly private sector clients on planning and design issues relating to highways, public realm, sewerage, SUDS, building drainage, earthworks, flood protection and utilities coordination/diversion on residential, retail, industrial and commercial developments both in the UK and overseas.
Regionally, we operate through our northern offices in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh Glasgow and Wrexham. We are seeking an enthusiastic Senior Engineer level infrastructure engineer to provide regional support to the development infrastructure capability in the North West. The person will be based in the Wrexham office.
The team also works closely with other WSP disciplines on high profile multi-disciplinary projects.
A typical week would include:
* Working as a design engineer working within small teams produce designs and drawings to support planning applications and construction.
* Working on a number of projects and client accounts, liaising with clients at a local and national level.
* Mentoring and managing early career professionals ensuring technical excellence is in everything we deliver.
* Day to day project management support in the delivery of concept studies and strategies with hands on design, leading to planning applications or construction drawing issue.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Preferably a civil engineering degree and be approaching chartered / incorporated status with experience in highway and drainage design
* Strong post graduate experience in a civil engineering working environment
* The ability to produce masterplans, site appraisals, write reports to support planning applications, design calculations and construction drawings
* An understanding of highway design and drainage principles (layout, parameters, etc.)
* Experience of using PDS (or similar software packages) together with experience in WinDes
* The ability to work effectively with colleagues including more senior and junior staff in producing designs, drawings and reports is essential - you will need to have good written and spoken communication skills and be able to work as part of a team
* Sound knowledge of the relevant design codes such as Sewers for Adoption, DMRB and Local Authority Design Guides, to be well versed in the preparation of drawings for Contract Documents and S278 and S38 Agreements.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.