7 months ago
About the Role:
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations’ and society in general.
Our Highways team in Cardiff is expanding rapidly to meet the significant workload we have secured.
We are seeking a Senior Engineer with experience in the Highways Sector to be part of this established and experienced team working on exciting highway projects. Due to recent successes the team is growing and offers excellent opportunities for the right candidate seeking new and exciting opportunities.
You will form part of an existing team to deliver a number of highway and transportation schemes for a number of public sector clients both in the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will develop and deliver projects through various stages of design from feasibility to planning/detailed design and onto construction.
A typical week would include:
You will be required to manage programmes of work and prepare designs and specifications. Duties will include:
* Development of highway designs in accordance with the DMRB using AutoCAD, MX and/or Civils 3D
* Experience of all-around highway design elements which might include RRRAP assessments for VRS, pavement, fences and gates, accesses, link design, junction design, drainage etc
* Mentoring and supervising the output of junior staff
* Taking a leading technical role on projects
* Client liaison as necessary to deliver the schemes/projects
* Production of technical reports as required
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
The successful candidate will be degree qualified in civil engineering or another appropriate subject and be working towards Chartered or Incorporated membership of an appropriate professional engineering institution.
You will be capable of working to tight project time scales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach. Evidence of good communication and team work skills will be sought.
Ideally you will have experience in the preparation of highway design for major and minor infrastructure projects from conception through to construction. Experience of managing a team of technicians and graduates would be advantageous.
Specific attributes include:
* Degree qualification
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or working towards Chartered/Incorporated Engineer Status
* Proven experience in the technical and commercial management of highway projects
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Full, clean driver’s license
* Welsh Speaker (not essential)
* Experience of working in a BIM environment (preferred)
* Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
* Ability to lead small teams of junior engineers and technicians on work packages
* Some experience of liaising with clients on technical issues
* Confidence to seek clarification of instructions and work scope
* Skills in one or more industry standard design software
* Adept in the use of AutoCAD and aptitude to develop in MX/Civils3D
* Proficient in use of standard office software
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
We value our people and our reputation
We stand for attracting, developing, engaging and retaining the best professionals in our fields of expertise, because our people are what make us great. We put the highest ethical standards at the centre of all we do. We are professional, humble and act with moral and intellectual integrity, keep our word, treat everyone with respect, support our colleagues and embrace diversity.
We care about individuals and their progress and offer the most fulfilling career development for our professionals. We promote our young recruits because we believe fresh perspectives bring great ideas and new energy.
Find your career path at WSP.