3 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
WSP's Geo-Technical Team have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join their team in our London, Devonshire Square office.
A typical week would include:
* Development of professional and technically competent reports and liaise with the specialists and clients, making use of efficient working practices to provide industry leading, best value services to our clients.
* Effectively manage and deliver project work with robust project financial management. Has budget responsibility for the delivery of projects and services.
* Assist in the management of the team resources and allocation of appropriate project resources.
* Manage, motivate, mentor and develop supporting professional staff.
* Provide support in all aspects of project delivery including client liaison, contractors and sub consultants, public and statutory body consultation, quality control, management of specialists. In effect to coordinate and manage multidisciplinary teams working on geotechnical projects, work closely with and provide professional advice that builds relationships and raises the profile of the geotechnical team.
* Working in accordance with accepted methods and legislation (including CDM) and operate in accordance with WSP’s corporate health & safety, environment and quality (SHEQ) standards.
* Undertake own continuing professional development and that of others, including representing the geotechnical team at technical conferences and seminars.
* 8. Support the pursuit of new business opportunities, both for internal and external clients, assisting business development in line with the business plan. This would include the development of, and input into, geotechnical bids and proposals.
We'd love to hear from you if you have/are:
* A degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics, Engineering Geology or Geology
* Chartered/Incorporated or working towards full professional membership / chartership
* A Full UK driving licence
* Technical expertise in geotechnical engineering with a demonstrable understanding of the underlying principles.
* Significant consultancy experience with demonstrably good commercial awareness and relationships with clients & contractors. Has strong communication and proven project management skills in a geotechnical team within a competitive business environment.
* Experience in the delivery of geotechnical projects, including preparing reports to a high technical level. Understanding of client requirements and the ability to influence contact specifications.
* Excellent report-writing and client liaison skills. Will have proven previous experience of undertaking and managing: geotechnical desk studies; designing, procuring & supervising Ground Investigations (GIs); checking Ground Investigation Reports & Geotechnical Design Reports in accordance with the requirements of Eurocode 7 : Part 1. Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to lead at client/contractor meetings.
* The ability to manage geotechnical design teams within a multi-disciplinary environment together with an understanding of design submission documentation and processes. An up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation relevant to the profession.
* Working knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes, ground investigation and construction contracts and specifications.
* Familiarity and ability to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects including deep and shallow foundations (including pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks. Familiarity with the use of geotechnical software for the management, review and presentation of ground investigation and geotechnical data and able to guide and manage others to follow current best practice.
* The skills to check and critically evaluate the work done by others, be it drawings, calculations or reports, and have a proven track record of doing so.
* The ability to implement technical excellence and innovation across the local geotechnical team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.