8 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
The successful candidate will form an important part of the local and regional team and will play an integral role in delivering geotechnical projects as part of this dynamic team. The successful candidate will be expected to be technically proficient in the day to day delivery of projects and to provide technical support and training to junior staff.
A typical week would include:
* Technically and financially managing and delivering projects from initial quotation to issue of reports, particularly in the areas of geotechnical site investigation, ground engineering, foundation and retaining structures design, ground movement assessment, earthworks and ground improvement and management.
* You should have a strong grasp of basic soil mechanics and relevant experience of the analysis and design of a number of geotechnical solutions including deep foundations, slope stability remedial works, ground improvement and retaining walls.
* You should also be proficient with FEM analysis.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
* Have technical expertise in geotechnical engineering with a demonstrable understanding of the underlying principles of Soil Mechanics.
* Are prepared to attend site for a variety of roles including ground investigation, construction monitoring, site or asset inspections and site validation.
* Have significant consultancy experience across a range of business sectors with demonstrably good commercial awareness and relationships with clients & contractors. Has strong communication and proven project management skills in a geotechnical team within a competitive business environment.
* Have a proven track record in the delivery of geotechnical projects, including preparing reports to a high technical level in one or more of the following markets: roads, ports and harbours, rail, water, energy, insurance and private sector.
* Have an understanding of client requirements, including those not captured in the contract, and the ability to influence contact specifications.
* Have excellent report-writing and client liaison skills. Will have proven previous experience of undertaking and managing: geotechnical desk studies; designing, procuring & supervising Ground Investigations (GIs); checking and reviewing Ground Investigation Reports & Geotechnical Design Reports in accordance with the requirements of Eurocode 7: Part 1.
* Have a demonstrable ability to lead geotechnical design teams within a multi-disciplinary environment for Highways England and Network Rail/LUL together with a full understanding of their design standards, processes and submission documentation. An up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation relevant to the profession & Sector.
* Have working knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes.
* Have a demonstrable understanding of forms of Contract including GI & Construction.
* Have a familiarity with and ability to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects specifically including deep and shallow foundations (including pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks.
* Must have the skills to check and critically evaluate the work done by others, be it Drawings, Calculations or Reports, and have a proven track record of doing so, a degree in geotechnical engineering, soil mechanics or engineering geology, or equivalent.
* Have chartered status with either the ICE, Geological Society or another relevant professional body.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.