4 months ago
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (YOR00000E)
: United Kingdom-York-York
Senior Geotechnical Engineer, York
We are currently seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our team based in York. The role is set in a multi project, multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
You will work with local staff delivering a wide portfolio of projects including local site developments, buildings projects and major infrastructure projects including the Transpennine Rail Upgrade. The role will also involve:
• Geotechnical analysis and design, site supervision, production of drawings, specifications and reports and supervision of more junior members of the team
• Accountable for quality of own work to time and budget and those of team members as applicable
• Daily contact with other members of the group and other Arup staff
• Regular contact with external agencies and site investigation contractors
• Developing contacts with clients
• Reporting to the regional leadership team in North West and Yorkshire.
Essential Skills & Experience
• Typically, over 5 years’ experience of working on multi-disciplinary projects preferably in the infrastructure sector i.e. roads or rail.
• MEng. or good Civil Engineering-based degree with post graduate qualification in a geotechnical related subject, preferably Soil Mechanics
• Chartered with the relevant body
• Significant experience in geotechnical analysis and design delivery
• Experience in risk-based assessment or design, including the use of statistics and probability in geotechnical applications would be an advantage
• Able to quickly develop successful client relationships (both internal and external)
• Able to work independently with minimum supervision
• Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines is essential
• Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
• Able to turn hand to other work when the opportunities arise
• Proven success in contributing to a team-oriented environment
• Able to work in a multi project, multidisciplinary, multicultural environment
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Knowledge of rail engineering design processes and terminology
• Understanding advanced soil mechanics and soil structure Interaction
• Existing knowledge or a desire to learn numerical modelling techniques
• Digital skills – to be able to interact with CAD and GIS systems
• A developing interest in using digital tools to improve efficiency and communication of design.
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
The vacancy is being managed by Siobhan Osborne
Closing Date: 14/03/2019