about 1 year ago
Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer
Job number: UK13958
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, South East, Redhill
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our Rail team to work in Redhill.
* Undertake the design of complex geotechnical renewal and maintenance projects from inception to design completion, includingundertaking slope stability assessments, managing the specification and supervision of geotechnical investigations and planning, and checking the work of others.
* Prepare and review technical reports and draft specifications for remedial and improvement works.
* Prepare calculations, drawings, technical specifications, and technical reports to support the design, assessment, survey or investigation carried out as determined by the nature of the tasks given.
* Manage site investigations, surveys and undertake desk top studies.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
* To act safely and work to eliminate hazards at source;
* Provide deliverables and a service that satisfies safety and quality requirements;
* Produce calculations, drawings and supply the associated service;
* Direct personnel;
* Lead the production of investigations, reports and specifications;
* Ensure activity is in compliance with relevant technical, professional and group standards;
* Ensure project change is fully managed, implemented and recorded;
* Undertake work using formal processes and procedures;
* Manages and records time and provides time estimates for projects/packages;
* Define detailed service requirements;
* Liaise with Clients Engineering Representatives.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
* Must have a recognised degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering;
* Candidates should be professionally registered with the Engineering Council as an Incorporated;
* Engineer and working towards Membership of the ICE or RoGEP;
* HNC only acceptable when coupled with extensive experience in design and / or construction with the emphasis on railway structure design and maintenance;
* Appreciation of construction methods and materials;
* Must have a good working knowledge of Group Standards / Health and Safety legislation, including CDM regulations, and how it impacts on the industry.;
* Knowledge of engineering drawing practices;
* Competent in CAD and familiar with geotechnical software packages (PLAXIS or similar);
* Experience in railway based geotechnical;
* Experience in the asset management of railway civil engineering earthworks.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.