9 months ago
About the Role
WSP Water is experiencing significant growth and we are seeking a Senior Flood Risk and Drainage Design Engineer to support the development and growth of our flooding and drainage design capability within our Glasgow (Uddingston) office. Our Flooding & Drainage team in Scotland has an abundant and thriving workload for numerous local authority clients, supporting them to deliver their flood risk management strategies and projects.
WSP Water provides services across all aspects of the water environment for a varied client base. These services include hydrological and hydraulic modelling, flood risk assessments, flood studies, foul and surface water drainage design and flood alleviation scheme development and design.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to help develop a strategically important area for us and the successful person will be key in helping build the flooding and drainage business in Scotland. We are committed to ensuring we find the right candidate and as such we will consider flexible working in order to support any candidate who aligns with our goals, values and ambitions for the sector.
If you have experience in providing project and technical management for flood alleviation schemes and / or civils design input on flooding and drainage projects, we will provide you with the right environment to further develop as an engineer and a range of project opportunities, ranging from small flood alleviation schemes to large multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
The role will involve the delivery of various civil engineering design aspects of flood alleviation schemes such as culverts, drainage systems, pumping stations and SuDS features. The role will also require the wider coordination and management of other inputting disciplines such as geo-tech, structures, highways, environment, landscape, sewer / hydraulic modelling, topographical survey, etc.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter with the drive and skills to build relationships, identify opportunities and work collaboratively with other disciplines. The role will include mentoring and managing more junior design staff and nurturing the design capability of the team. You will be reporting to a Principal Engineer and will be expected to be able to work under your own initiative. The role will also require active participation in business development activities.
The role will operate in accordance with the corporate health and safety, environmental and quality standards.
The role may require travel within the UK.
You should hold most of the key skills / qualifications identified below:
• Degree in Civil Engineering.
• Chartered Engineer (or nearing charter-ship) with technical expertise in areas such as flood risk assessment, flood alleviation, hydrology and hydraulic modelling, drainage design including SUDS.
• Experience in developing and delivering civil engineering design aspects of flooding and drainage improvement schemes, ideally gained within a consultancy environment. This will include detailed design of such elements as culverts, drainage systems, pumping stations and SuDS features.
• Reviewing hydrological / hydraulic modelling work (hands on modelling skills would be advantageous).
• CAD drawings (2D and 3D). Other GIS skills would be advantageous.
• Report, specifications and contract document preparation.
• Familiarity with the appropriate technical standards and approval processes.
• Assisting and overseeing work of junior engineers, including mentoring.
• Knowledge to prepare fee estimates and programmes of future work for incorporation in proposals, and be comfortable leading on projects.
• Drive and ability to build client relationships and develop suitable opportunities.
• Ability to work on own initiative within sector and multidisciplinary team.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals.
We design lasting solutions in the Property & Buildings, Transportation & Infrastructure, Environment, Industry, Resources (including Mining and Oil & Gas) and Power & Energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. With 36,000 talented people in more than 500 offices across 40 countries, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
Our Guiding Principles:
• We value our people and our reputation.
• We are locally dedicated with international scale.
• We are future-focused and challenge the status quo.
• We foster collaboration in everything we do.
• We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable.