5 months ago
* Job Title: Senior Enviornmental Manager
* Requisition ID: 220257
* Internal Candidate Under Consideration: No
* Relocation Authorised: No
* Project: HS2
* Location: Birmingham, UK
Bechtel is currently looking for a senior enviornmental manager to support the HS2 project in Birmingham who will be responsible for managing, leading and assuring the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase Two in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements.
1. Lead on the Area Team’s environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team (particularly the Area Senior Route Engineer), the other Phase Two Area Teams (particularly adjacent areas), HS2 Ltd’s Technical Directorate and the Phase Two Central Environment Team.
2. Ensure all client requirements are met for the hybrid Bill (and in particular the Area Environmental Report).
3. As part of the Area Team, provide client leadership and advice to develop environmental design solutions and ensure that environmental sustainability issues continue to be embedded as an integral part of the project design in accordance with the HS2 Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Approach Document.
4. Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects, property advisors, environmental and sustainability specialists to achieve high quality integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions.
5. Ensure requirements for environmental consultants are developed in a timely manner, working collaboratively with the Client and Project Integration team
6. Provide the key client management interface for consultants appointed to undertake area environmental assessment (including transport and equalities impact assessment) and design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with HS2 Ltd assumptions in relation to design, construction and operation
7. As part of HS2 Ltd’s assurance process, review and critically appraise all area environmental deliverables produced by consultants to ensure compliance with the organisation’s technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulation (including parliamentary requirements) to enable them to be confidently defended before Select Committee.
8. Support area technical stakeholder engagement (working closely with the Central Environment Team and Stakeholder Team) via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the area (and, where necessary, route‐wide) assessment and design and to ensure the stakeholder’s environmental and sustainability requirements are understood and managed so as to minimise petition risk and to support the development of a world class railway.
9. Support the central and area management of the area environmental budget to ensure consultant costs are properly forecast, managed and controlled in line with the overall budget and organisational requirements.
10. Working closely with the Central Environment Team, manage area environmental support to the hybrid Bill team, including the relevant Principal and Expert Witnesses on area environmental issues (including EIA, TA and EqIA) and preparation of petition responses and reports to Select Committee.
11. Working closely with the Central Environment Team, lead the response to general internal and external enquiries (including FOI, EIR and PQ requests) on area environmental (including EIA, TA and EqIA) matters to ensure timely, consistent, robust and assured responses
12. Support the Area Team Manager on internal and external reporting of environmental matters. 2.12 Ensure full audit trail of key decisions and compliant data management to enable effective petition management, efficient handling of enquiries (including FOI and EIR) and to ensure that statutory requirements are met.
13. Working closely with the Central Environment Team, manage area environmental input into relevant HS2 Ltd reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
* Right to work in the UK without company sponsorship
* Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
* Educated to Master’s degree level in a relevant subject is desirable but not essential
* Chartered membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation is highly desirable.
* Significant experience of leading on environmental assessment (EIA) and design on large or complex infrastructure/ engineering projects.
* Experience in project management of complex projects and financial management of projects, including procurement processes.
* Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
* Proven ability to manage individuals, consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams.
* Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders
* Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training is provided in the use of the internal document management systems). A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
* Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations.
* Experience of public inquiries (or similar) is desirable.
* Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.
* This role is the client lead for area environmental products (including EIA, TA and EqIA) developed by consultants and subsequently defended through Parliament.
* This role is responsible for ensuring that resource requirements are identified and managed effectively both within the area team and from across the organisation working in close collaboration with the Central Environment Team.
* This role is lead for environmental and sustainability matters in the Area Scheme Design Working Group and provide input to the Environmental Leadership Group.
* You are responsible for ensuring the client requirements are met in the development of the EIA (including TA) and EqIA and be responsible for ensuring that issues/ risks are escalated to the Central Environment Team.
* You engage with other Senior Environment Managers across Area Teams and work closely with the Senior Environment Managers in the Central Environment Team to achieve consistent, high quality products.
* You provide support and input to the Phase Two Head of Environment and work closely with other Environment colleagues from Technical Directorate, Phase One and Phase 2A.
* You are responsible for ensuring that the Area Team builds on work already undertaken on Phase Two, whilst remaining consistent with Phase One and Phase 2A and avoiding difficult precedent for any subsequent phases of HS2 under the guidance of the Central Environment Team.
* Working closely with the Central Environment Team, you and your team support the hybrid Bill process and Principle and Expert Witnesses in the defence of the scheme before Select Committee.
FACTS AND FIGURES
* You manage a team of up to two FTE team members (including one Environment Manager and one Environment Advisor) to ensure the required area environmental products are developed and delivered to support Royal Assent for the Phase Two hybrid Bill.
* No direct overall budgetary responsibility, but responsibility for managing the environment consultant expenditure as part of the wider professional services budget.
* This role is the Senior Environment Manager for a geographic section of the Phase Two route.
* The role reports to the Area Manager and has a dotted line to the Phase Two Head of Environment/ EO Project Manager and interfaces with other Senior Environment Managers across Area Teams and with the Central Environment Team.
* This role works alongside a team of other specialists and consultants engaged on the project and liaises with a range of technical stakeholders, including statutory bodies to develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions and play an integral role in reducing the detrimental impact of the developing scheme on people and the environment. They also work closely with the supply chain and with Technical Directorate. Ensuring consistency with, and avoiding difficult precedent for, other parts of the HS2 project is also a key requirement. They achieve this by working closely with the Environmental Interfaces Manager in the Central Environment Team.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
* Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role – by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 S.A.F.E programme principles.
* Co‐operate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
* Advocate and promote the company’s well‐being strategy and policies.
Bechtel’s internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.