10 months ago
Senior Environmental Consultant - Marine Mammals
Edinburgh or Peterborough
Job Reference - IB038
We’ve been around for more than 135 years. We drive inclusive sustainable development with our clients in areas that we master and can actively influence. Our people are keen to positively change the future and leave a legacy. Our networked organisation of smart entrepreneurs connects the best and brightest people in the world. Together we have an ambition to run a financially healthy business by putting our collective intelligence into practice with clients and partners. We are commercial savvy engineers, project managers and consultants who design smart cities, airports, ports, buildings and more .We reinvent industries; co-create clean energy and fresh water by using smart data and digitizing information flows and models. More and more, we connect the digital with the real world in an accelerating pace. Working together with our clients and partners, we use data and algorithms to translate insights into foresights. We help our clients in their digital transformation and we support our clients’ business with better and faster execution of their ambitions.
Let’s enhance society together!
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced Senior Environmental Consultant, Marine Mammals to join our Environment team based in Edinburgh or Peterborough. We will consider part time applications for this position (Minimum of 22.5 hours per week).
You will have excellent communication skills and technical ability with the ability, and willingness, to be flexible particularly since this role is expected to involve both the provision of specialist marine mammals (cetaceans and seals) advice and support as well as more general project management and consultancy tasks.
Given Royal HaskoningDHV’s market leading position in offshore wind EIA and consenting, it is expected that a large proportion of the work will be focused in this area. In addition, we have an extensive portfolio of work and your advice will be required on multiple projects of various sizes including other energy developments, port expansion works, and other developments on and offshore.
You will be expected to provide robust marine mammal’s advice to other members of the team, be able to individually develop your own leads and promote rewarding business development, and assist in the smooth running and continued successful development of the Environment team. The advice provided should cover both an understanding of key legislative or policy requirements and technical understanding of environmental and ecological issues.
You will have extensive experience and appropriate knowledge of the regulatory framework and will be responsible for the management and delivery of environmental assessment projects. Your role will involve directly working with clients, problem solving and representing the company in client offices, regulator and stakeholder meetings and sometimes high pressured environments. It is likely that several projects would be managed and/or supported simultaneously, and consistently delivered to the highest standards, meeting and exceeding clients’ needs.
Your main areas of work are:-
* Environmental/ecological/marine mammals consultancy;
* Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and environmental appraisal including habitats regulations assessment (HRA);
* Supporting the delivery of developments and projects within the UK Consent and Planning system and/or Marine Licensing regime;
* Provide technical support in area of specialism within the Advice group, Business Unit and other Business Lines.
* Environmental investigations, monitoring, data analysis and assessment; and
* General support to the wider team.
* Bachelor’s degree including marine mammal ecology or conservation or related discipline
* Understanding of the environmental impact of development and operational activities on marine mammals
* An ability to work with data and to understand and interpret key elements of ecological models, e.g. for collision risk models and population models
* Knowledge of relevant survey techniques, survey design and analysis, particularly in relation to offshore environments
* Understanding of UK environmental law, the EIA process, and relevant government policy
* Experience working with marine regulators and Statutory Authorities e.g. MMO Marine Scotland, NRW, SNH, Natural England, Cefas and the Environment Agency, as well as maintaining links with relevant technical and academic institutions
* Robust project management and financial management skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication, organisational, analytical and time management skills
* Ability to work on own initiative and also as part of a team
* Focused, articulate and professional in appearance and standard of work
* Commercial acumen and recognition of growth of services
* Confidence at the client-interface
* Willingness to travel, including possibly to international destinations
For full details on the role please see attached Job Description
We offer a competitive salary plus a range of benefits, including a contributory pension scheme, discretionary company bonus, Medical and Dental care, Life Insurance, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy. Our contributory pension scheme has been awarded the Pension Quality Mark, the highest standard of excellence available for UK company pension schemes.