5 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think ground-breaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
WSP are looking for Senior Engineer to join our Wind Engineering team which is part of WSP UK’s Specialists Group that provides specialised experimental and numerical wind engineering services in support of most of the major multi-disciplinary projects of the business. This team is uniquely positioned to offer independent and unbiased technical advice directly to end clients.
The Wind Engineering team has access to an extensive network of trusted and high quality boundary layer wind tunnel facilities which, often combined with WSP’s in-house CFD modelling experts, are used to support its consultancy services. The team is highly client-focused and prides itself on delivering high technical quality on landmark projects to tight timescales and to a high degree of customer satisfaction.
A typical week would include:
* Perform detailed wind climate analysis studies
* Perform detailed experience-based wind loading desktop studies.
* Design of wind tunnel experiments, including coordination of model making activities and on-line QA/QC of wind tunnel data.
* Post-processing and interpretation of wind tunnel data as well as technical reporting.
* Work along-side the CFD team as required.
* Positively contribute to constantly innovate the technical capabilities of the Wind Engineering team.
* Client liaison from project commencement to final reporting and post-reporting stages as required.
* Attendance of client meetings as required.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* A degree in civil, mechanical or aerospace engineering.
* Previous working experience in a wind engineering consultancy firm.
* Familiarity with a wide range of experimental wind tunnel testing techniques as well as with data analysis techniques for unsteady & bluff body aerodynamics.
* Knowledge and application of PIV techniques will be regarded as beneficial.
* Knowledge of the fundamentals of CFD as well as a high degree of IT literacy will be regarded as beneficial.
* Familiarity with the design of auxiliary damping systems will be regarded as beneficial.
* Excellent problem solving ability, striking a good balance between application of complex academic principles and practical engineering applications.
* Good multi-tasking ability and time management skills.
* Ability to work with commitment and accuracy under pressure with a high degree of self-motivation whilst operating as a team player at all times.
* Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
The salary for this role is £45,000 per annum. The closing date for this role is 18 September 2019.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.