about 1 year ago
About the Role:
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
We are looking for a Senior Traction Power Engineer to join our team in Manchester.
The position involves the provision of excellent engineering skills and technical knowledge of Traction Power engineering within an environment of high quality and timeliness. You will be required to integrate with colleagues, and operate with enthusiasm and a sense of purpose for the successful delivery of projects and the WSP rail business.
A typical week would include:
* Sizing and specifying HV AC and DC switchgear, power transformers, transformer rectifiers and support equipment to British and European standards.
* Power Engineering within a Railways Traction Power or within an ESI Transmission and Distribution.
* AC and DC Power Transmission design. (including earthing regimes and in particular for DC environments stray current mitigation).
* Developing Traction Power Supplies Designs for AC (25kV, 25-0-25kV) and DC (750V/1500V) based railway infrastructure schemes.
* Designing AC and/or DC system/equipment protection schemes and protection technology, equipment, interlocking and interfaces with SCADA.
* Sub-station layout planning, in particular Traction Sub-Station layout planning.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* An Honours Degree in Electrical (and Electronic) Engineering or an associated subject. (Having studied Power Engineering in a university setting).
* Preferably a member of a professional institution such as the IET, although not essential
* Chartering and registration with the EC is desirable but not essential
* A good understanding of applicable British and European standards for AC HV and DC Switchgear, Power Transformers, Transformer Rectifiers and Protection equipment.
* A good fundamental understanding of developing sub-station and switchgear designs for flexible operations and maintenance.
* A good understanding of the IET 16th Edition Wiring Regulations and the ability to develop interface designs within Sub-Stations based on its principles.
* Good Maths skills coupled with the ability to perform often complex power calculations using IT Tools such as MS Excel or SPICE. (Some experience of MATLAB or similar simulation tools is desirable but not essential).
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.