6 months ago
About the Role
Our Pavement Engineering team are looking for a Senior Engineer, based in Newcastle, to undertake and lead investigation, design and execution of pavement and asset management aspects of projects for highways and other types of infrastructure.
A typical week would include:
* Preparation of designs in accordance with DMRB
* Development of designs using AutoCAD
* Management of work packages with scope to move up to managing smaller schemes
* Client liaison as necessary to deliver the schemes/projects
* Production of technical reports as required
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Degree qualified in Civil Engineering or equivalent
* Clear knowledge and understanding of the function and engineering principals associated with pavements, pavement failures, pavement investigations and laboratory testing
* Clear knowledge and understanding in producing technical reports and conducting whole life cost assessments.
* Experience and understanding of road design standards DMRB, MCHW, statutory procedures, forms of contract, British Standards and CDM is essential
* Experience and understanding of ports, airports and industrial pavements is desirable.
* Undertake site specific risk assessments and safety checks
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Full, clean driver’s license
* Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
* Confidence to seek clarification of instructions and work scope
* Skills in one or more industry standard design software
* Adept in the use of AutoCAD/Civils3D
* Proficient in use of standard office software
* Capable of working to tight project timescales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.