about 1 month ago
Senior Engineer (mechanical) (12088)
Job ID: 12088
Location: Warrington, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
As Senior Mechanical Engineer you will report to the Principal Mechanical Engineer on engineering, technical and professional matters and to Area/Project Engineering Managers on project
specific matters. The role will include working closely and developing strong relationships with all internal clients (e.g. ESM, AEM, ADT, RM, etc.) and partners (ESP & CDPs).
You will provide Engineering support including design and technical engineering advice to all areas of UU. The main areas are likely to be the capital programme, operational engineering support and studies & investigations.
You will be responsible for the delivery of a range of projects, studies and investigations throughout United Utilities including data gathering and analysis, design, preparation of documents, drawings and specifications, review
of proposals by others and providing advice and responses to other team members.
* Leadership & line management for staff within their UU Mechanical Engineering team.
* Mentor and supervise developing engineers.
* Produce & review appropriate design requirements documents to meet United Utilities' objectives.
* Ensuring that all activities undertaken and engineering outputs provided are in accordance with Health and Safety Legislation and Accepted Practice.
* Working closely and developing strong relationships with engineering and programme managers within their delivery area and with all internal clients and partners.
* Responsible for the development & improvement of UU's Mechanical engineering standards and procedures.
* Support United Utilities operational staff (ADT) in optimizing site production and lowering site expenditure.
* Assess and manage risk.
* Demonstrate personal and professional management attributes and qualities commensurate with professional Chartered Status.
* Communicate, to both technical and non-technical audiences, concepts and ideas regarding the application of particular designs.
* Champion the use of safety techniques and procedures used in planning, design and supervision of projects in the construction, commissioning and performance review phases.
* Ensure that all Mechanical engineering outputs provided are in accordance with an appropriate Quality Management System e.g. checked and verified: calculations, drawings, specifications, and compliance with United
Utilities' Company Standards.
* Demonstrate a personal commitment and encourage commitment in others to safety in all aspects of work.
* Support the Principal Mechanical Engineer by deputising when requested.
Knowledge and Skills
* Chartered Engineer of The Institute of Mechanical Engineers or equivalent status.
* Strong technical competence and leadership skills, coupled with high levels of emotional intelligence.
* Experience in delivering capital and strategic projects, providing operational support in the water industry or other sectors for optimum TOTEX .
* The post holder will be required to work on their own and as a member of a team.
* The ability to write clear, concise, accurate reports & specifications with measurable outputs is important as well as the ability to promote these “best of breed” standards and designs to others.
* Registered Mentor of a professional Institution, Full UK driving Licence.
* Experience in delivering projects across the complete project lifecycle from needs to concept and feasibility through to detailed design, technical assurance, testing & commissioning and final handover.
* A good knowledge of water, wastewater and sludge treatment processes and hydraulic design, together with a detailed knowledge and experience of company standards, procedures and technologies.
* A working knowledge is required of the interfaces with other disciplines.
* Knowledge and experience of process and construction risks analysis techniques such as; ARM, HAZOP, HAZCON, HAZCOM and PEAZ.
* The Senior Engineer will demonstrate personal and professional management attributes and qualities, demonstrating leadership skills including, coaching, interpersonal communication, empowerment and motivation consistent with UU leadership behaviours.
We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing Date: 18/10/18