7 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
The Croydon Highways team is seeking a Senior Engineer with experience in the Highways Sector to be part of a growing team working on exciting highway projects.
The successful candidate will develop and deliver projects through various stages of design from feasibility to planning/detailed design and onto construction.
We are looking for rounded individuals responsible for planning and managing the delivery of projects, including adequacy of design, compliance with standards and legislation, resource time, cost and quality.
The right candidate shall be able to take on significant elements of design, either working on their own initiative, with minimal supervision or by taking a lead role working within multi-discipline project teams. Able to obtain and analyse information and report on findings.
A typical week would include:
* Project Management and provision of engineering expertise involving a range of multi-disciplinary infrastructure schemes primarily within the UK and occasionally elsewhere within the world, such as the Middle East
* Client focus, lead and attend design review meetings or progress meetings
* Technical input and design on Highway projects, including:
* Alignment design and modelling together with the integration into BIM
* Application of Highway England standards, Manual for Streets and Local Authority guidance in relation to highway engineering
* Management and procedures for aspects not covered by standard or Departures from Standards.
* Preparation of specifications and development of Bills of Quantities
* Technical checking and design reviews
* Ensuring compliance with Health and Safety and Environmental Legislation
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
The successful candidate will be degree qualified in civil engineering or another appropriate subject and be a member of an appropriate professional engineering institution. Experience of working to British standards is essential.
The successful candidate will be capable of working to tight project timescales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach. Evidence of good communication and team work skills will be sought.
* A degree in Civil Engineering
* Incorporated or Chartered Status (AMICE/MICE or equivalent) or equivalent demonstrable experience
* The ability to demonstrate clear and successful project management skills and technical competence in the field of highway engineering
* A Full, clean driver’s license
* Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to push the boundaries of existing knowledge and the ability to take the lead outside of core discipline
* Proven track record of dealing with Clients and forging effective relationships in a professional and customer focused manner
* Experience of Contract Preparation and Contract Supervision using NEC forms of contract
* Experience of mentoring and guiding junior members of staff
* Good written and oral communication skills are essential
* The ability to take a senior role in driving the CDM Regulations 2015 throughout scheme delivery
Experience in one or more of the following is essential:
* Use of modelling and engineering related packages such as MX and AutoCAD Civil3D,
* Drainage design (surface water) including use of Microdrainage Software package.
* Highways and Pavement design to UK DMRB standards
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.