5 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
WSP are working with Shropshire Council as part of the Highways Alliance as integrated team collocated with the end client. This truly collaborative approach sees WSP and Shropshire colleagues working side by side to collectively deliver the full highways service to local communities
The role is specific to facilitating new development, economic growth and sustainability within the varied urban and rural communities of Shropshire. The primary aim of the HDC service is to support the Council in delivering its aspirations through the Local Development Framework and Local Transport Plan to create better places to live, work and thrive. By ensuring that the any new and existing highway and transport infrastructure is safe and appropriate for use by all members of the communities they serve.
A typical week could include:
* Undertaking the consideration of the highways, transportation and sustainability aspects of various planning applications. Including: site inspection, examining Transport Assessments, Safety Audits and prepare appropriate reports.
* To give advice on potential developments to Shropshire Council officers, developers and their agents with regards to highway design standards and any other appropriate requirements relating to the Highway and Transportation matters.
* To liaise and negotiate with internal and adjacent Council Planning, Economic Growth, Environmental and Highway officers.
* Maintain appropriate records and report regularly on progress towards agreed milestones
* Be a proactive and collaborative team member.
* Contribute to technical excellence and innovation across the team.
* Develop knowledge of Health, Safety & Welfare and CDM responsibilities and of other company procedures.
* Take responsibility for own personal development and following an agreed development plan.
* Assist in the development of others.
We are seeking individuals who understand our values and express commitment to them. We want our staff to strive continuously to innovate in how they perform and work with our clients and to deliver excellence.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A minimum HNC (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering (or other relevant discipline) or have other demonstrable experience. You will be working towards Incorporated or Chartered status of a relevant professional institution and you will need to demonstrate ability to assist in the delivery of projects, technical excellence and innovation.
* Experience and knowledge of appropriate Planning and Highway legislation and policies (i.e. Highways Act 1980, Town & Country Planning Act, National Planning Policy Framework and Construction Design & Management Regulations 2016).
* Experience and a working knowledge of relevant highway design standards, guidance and best practice (i.e. Manual for Streets 1 & 2, DMRB, CIRIA SuDs Manual. TSRGD, Traffic Signs Manual).
* IT/computer literate and knowledge and experience of Windows Office and any other appropriate technical software packages (such as AutoCAD, TRICS, Oscady, Picady, etc.) would be desirable.
* Good communication skills and fluent in spoken and written English are essential.
* A full valid UK driving licence is required.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.