4 months ago
About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
Our Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing sustainable development infrastructure solutions from planning, through to full implementation. We are seeking to recruit an Engineer to join our team in Southampton.
The Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing high level advice to both public and private sector clients on planning and design issues relating to Highways, Public Realm, Signal Design, Sewerage, SUDS, Building Drainage, Earthworks, Flood Protection and Utilities Coordination/Diversion on Residential, Retail, Industrial and Commercial Developments both in the UK and overseas.
The team also works closely with other WSP disciplines and offices on high profile major multi-disciplinary projects.
All staff are encouraged and assisted to progress their training towards ICE Incorporated or Chartered status, with internal and external training opportunities provided.
A typical week would include:
* Working as a design engineer working within small teams produce designs and drawings to support planning applications and construction
* Working on a number of projects and client accounts, liaising with clients at a local and national level
* Mentoring and managing early career professionals ensuring technical excellence is in everything we deliver
* Day to day project management support in the delivery of concept studies and strategies with hands on design, leading to planning applications or construction drawing issue.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A civil engineering degree and are approaching chartered status with experience in highway and highway drainage design
* Strong post graduate experience in a civil engineering working environment
* The ability to produce masterplans, site appraisals, write reports to support planning applications, design calculations and construction drawings
* An understanding of highway design and highway drainage principles (layout, parameters, etc.)
* Experience in the design of highways using PDS (or similar software packages) together with experience in applying Highways England and Local Authority design guidance
* The ability to work effectively with colleagues including more senior and junior staff in producing designs, drawings and reports is essential
* Good written and spoken communication skills and be able to work as part of a team
* Sound knowledge of the relevant design codes such as Sewers for Adoption, DMRB and Local Authority Design Guides, and are well versed in the preparation of drawings for Contract Documents and S278 and S38 Agreements - you will be able to prepare designs for highway schemes including associated highway drainage.
The range of disciplines within Development Infrastructure is quite wide so you might have experience of some rather than all, but there is opportunity to specialize within the discipline or develop the wider range of skills.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.