10 months ago
Through development and investment in new and exciting technologies Dyson is expanding into new and varied product categories. To facilitate the development of a new and exciting product opportunity we are broadening our expertise, growing our Engineering teams in both size and capability. We are currently recruiting a team of specialist engineers to work in the engineering team to support the generation and validation of design concepts to realise into robustly engineered production solutions. The Principal Engineer will lead concepts and support the design and development from concept through to engineering release, working to the program milestones and timing. This includes integrating with the product team in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude with a desire to deliver quality, robust and innovative solutions and presenting to management to help guide development of the product.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
As well as a passion for design and innovation you’ll need to have a degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent. You'll also need previous relevant experience of mechanical engineering with a sound understanding and knowledge of physical principles
But more importantly you’ll bring the ability to combine creative thinking with technical expertise. Our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, fail again. It’s an iterative process. To be different takes resilience and patience. But in this role you’ll see first-hand how your discipline feeds into each product lifecycle. And above all, you’ll want to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
• A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
• Previous relevant experience of product design or mechanical engineering.
• Proven track record of managing resource and delivering to time scales.
• Sound understanding and knowledge of basic physical principles.
• Knowledge and understanding of injection moulding and manufacturing.
• Experience in adhesive construction preferred.
• Experience in composite structural materials. A creative and considered approach to problem solving, adhering to clear design processes.
• Proven ability to communicate through 2 and 3 dimensional media, e.g. sketching, CAD, model making.
• A good balance of practical and theoretical skills; calculations from first principles; prototype rig building and establishing test methods to analyse the design.
• Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with other teams in RDD.
• Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
• Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Self starter - ability to work independently.
• Experience with CAD surface modelling
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.