about 1 month ago
About the Role:
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think ground-breaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
WSP have an opportunity for an experienced Senior Electrical Engineer, to join our team in Scotland
You will have the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting and prestigious projects in the world. Our Scottish team are currently delivering projects a multi-disciplinary consultancy locally, across the UK and internationally. The UK WSP MEP team are a tight knit group, working closely to deliver some of the largest and most complex buildings in the UK and Europe across multiple sectors including Healthcare, Education (both HE and Schools), Commercial, Leisure and Critical Systems/Data Centres
A typical week would include:
* Meeting the requirements of a 'Principal Engineer' grade and have a proven track record in both leading projects for your discipline and for an overall project team. Be able to demonstrate where your personal input has led to the commission being won or successfully delivered.
* Able to work using your own initiative with minimal supervision on all technical aspects of your discipline or have specific specialist experience applicable to the role.
* Able to work under the clear direction of the client and interpret the needs of the project as a whole to meet the full delivery needs.
* Work in a joint leadership capacity within a mechanical, electrical and public health (MEP) discipline team providing design and technical advice in a WSP project manager capacity on a wide range of projects. In this role plan and manage both UK and India resource deployment and ensure critical dates are met.
* Supervise the completion of detailed designs and supervise the work of others in this function.
* Consider the feasibility of the project specific to the discipline and lead the overall feasibility study for the project.
* Take responsibility for and direct others in the production of detailed and performance specification for the discipline subject to review by colleagues prior to issue.
* Regularly brief the project team, including explaining the appointment. Ensure contracts / letters of intent are in place for all projects before work begins. Make sure all team members have access to the agreed appointment documents.
* Reviewing design programmes and ensuring that sufficient resource is available to complete the works.
* Take full responsibility for the Commercial success of your projects - Lead the completion and regular amendment to the project 'Cost to Complete' (CTC). Monitor the work of the project engineers and compare weekly against the previously agreed CTC. Flag up any potential 'profit' or 'loss' to your DTL when compared to the agreed fee.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Demonstrated good attention to detail and show pride in the work produced.
* Have a detailed understanding of the regulations applicable to the discipline and how to demonstrate this through calculation.
* Have detailed understanding of Amtech to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
* Have understanding of working with RevitMEP or other 3D design software to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
* Low voltage distribution systems
* Cable calculations via Hevacomp or Amtech
* Cable calculations by hand
* Lighting calculations (via software and by hand)
* Energy lighting
* Small power
* Fire alarms
* Intruder detection
* Access control & security systems
* Disabled call systems
* Data cabling and outlets
* Lightning protection
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.