5 months ago
Senior Ecologist (Leicester)
Searching for an opportunity with an established and growing company? Want to put your ecological knowledge and skills to better use? Considering that next step in your career development…?
As a consultancy of over 1,600 staff, we are large enough to work on high-profile schemes in the East and West Midlands such as A453 Duelling near Nottingham, extension & improvement works at Birmingham City University and the flood risk reduction project ‘ Our City Our River’ in Derby. In addition, we deliver a range of smaller schemes, which include bat mitigation & licenced badger works and residential sites across the Midlands. We are also involved in promoting net gains for biodiversity and supporting the Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessments for several Local Authorities.
Our national team has doubled in size over the last five years and we continue to go from strength to strength. As such, we are now looking to recruit a Senior Ecologist to support our established team in Leicester with our growing business opportunities in the West and East Midlands.
You must hold a Class 1 Bat Licence as a minimum but Class 2 is highly desirable, along with experience of designing and executing EPS licenced works. We are focused on recruiting the best ecologists so are happy to discuss flexible working patterns, including part-time or fixed-term contracts, with the right candidate.
We are looking for an ecologist who has experience of projects across a diversity of sectors, with the confidence to liaise with clients & stakeholders and a desire to manage & mentor other members of the team. Project management and the ability to deliver multiple projects to high client expectations within fixed deadlines is an essential requirement of the role. Experience with the production of EcIA and/or HRA would also be an advantage. We are keen to continue to grow the team, so enthusiasm to support colleagues within the Midlands business development strategy would also be a requirement of the role.
As experienced ecologists ourselves, we understand how ecologists think and work and have introduced ecology-specific methods to allow the team to fulfil their potential:
* With over 50 permanent ecologists across 12 offices, we work hard to operate as one cohesive team to minimise time away from home, maximise bespoke training and support from our in-house experts regardless of location – allowing the best people to work on the projects that interest them so they are delivered to the highest standards.
* We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project rather than just one niche area. We don’t pigeon-hole ecologists who have specific skills and instead encourage diversification of skills and the passing-on of knowledge to the rest of the team. We recently held our annual all-ecology get together over two days where our experts provided training, including out in the field, on tree assessments for bats, willow tit habitat management and the use of technology when recording data, to name but a few.
* Given that all grades of ecologist complete site visits and meetings, we provide cars or car allowances to every member of team, including for personal use.
* Our Class 2 bat licence incentivisation scheme thanks those ecologists who have spent time and effort in achieving their licences – we know it’s not easy! And to show our support of personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist status through CIEEM.
* We work alongside many other teams including Planners, Landscape Architects, Archaeologists and Engineers, With a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
* We also have an established Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) system which allows ecologists to manage their time to suit their specific needs, alongside the seasonal demands of the role.
If the timing’s not quite right for you, please do still get in touch as we will always consider deferring your start date to secure the best candidate.