12 months ago
Want to shape the future of online experiences? So do we.
Join Our South West Technology Hub
Located in the heart of Bristol, a top 10 city in Europe for tech, you will be joining a new team that will comprise of analysts, creative designers, front-end engineers, solution engineers and testers, that will provide creative digital and technology services for our clients in the South West and beyond.
Engineering at Deloitte Digital
At Deloitte Digital, our engineers are creative problem solvers. As part of our team you will be responsible for developing cutting-edge digital solutions for some of the largest, most ambitious organisations in the world. We build diverse teams bringing together a wealth of experiences and backgrounds to form the best cross-disciplinary teams. You will have the chance to work with some of the best technologists and strategists in the business, to shape the future of how we live, work and play. What unites us is our passion for world-class user experiences, innovative use of technology, eye-catching visual design and enterprise-level strategies.
As a proven engineer with a strong base of software engineering or IT ops experience, it will be your job to build and operate the technical platforms that underpin some of our most prominent delivery projects.
This is a multi-disciplinary role which will primarily take on infrastructure and environments management responsibilities that require specialist skills. You will also have a remit to help promote DevOps across all functions of a project or programme. We don’t just want “implementers”; we need people who can work in an embedded way with developers, business analysts and test managers, ensuring that systems are built in a way that makes them fast, maintainable, stable and able to handle frequent, incremental change.
As a DevOps engineer we’d like you to have:
* Previous architecture or technical team lead experience, preferably fulfilling a DevOps leadership, infrastructure or environments management role on a major systems delivery programme
* A solid technical background, with at least 4 years’ experience in implementation work; for example, in enterprise Java development or infrastructure automation
* A thorough grasp of agile and lean delivery concepts and methodologies, and a history of successfully applying this knowledge to manage medium sized (5-10 people) technical teams
* Architecture and design experience of products and services from current cloud vendors, e.g. Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud
* Experience in a significant delivery or operational role during the go-live of at least two major web sites (or other large IT systems)
* A good understanding of how an IT operations department is typically organised and the role that it plays within a large company
* Strong general knowledge of what might be referred to as the "DevOps toolkit": continuous integration platforms, infrastructure-as-code frameworks, application release automation tools, container runtime and orchestration, IaaS and PaaS technologies etc.
* Strong organisational skills, with the ability to work independently as well in a highly collaborative, team-based environment
* Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
* A good graduate degree (1st or Upper Second) combined with post-graduate experience in consulting or industry
You also have:
* Implementation experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Salt
* Linux systems administration certification at RHCSA (or equivalent) level or above
* Administrative experience of Jenkins/Hudson, CircleCI, TeamCity, Team Foundation Server or similar continuous integration tool
* Java or .NET development certification at SCJP/MCTS level or above
* Architecture, implementation and operational experience of container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
* Experience working in multi-supplier technical and commercial project environments
We offer tailored career pathways
Recognising and developing the many diverse skills and interests that exist among our Consulting population allows us to consistently exceed the standards of excellence and innovation that our clients expect. Six Consulting Talent Models have been designed by leaders across 11 member firms and offer truly tailored career development opportunities. Each model is defined by differentiated, relevant learning, measures of success, and career trajectories that combine to help you realise your full potential at Deloitte and future-proof our business.
Your work, your choice
As a full time member of the Technology Hub our aspiration is for you to serve our clients in the South West either from the Hub in central Bristol or when required at client site in the region. We are committed to helping you balance the demands of work with your personal priorities through informal or formal agile working arrangements. We will support you, if you desire, to take advantage of the opportunities provided by our firm with clients in the UK, Europe and beyond.
Home Location: Bristol
Suggested work pattern: Permanent full-time
Being a Senior DevOps Engineer at Deloitte Digital
As a team lead with extensive, real-world experience of both good and bad DevOps cultures and practices, it will be your responsibility to manage and educate DevOps Engineers in cross-functional teams at the frontline of our delivery projects. Successful applicants should get a real kick out of helping our projects launch in a successful and stress-free manner, drawing on a wide range of skills covering software development, technical architecture, IT service management and infrastructure operations.
Overall, you’re an idea person and problem solver as well as a hands-on doer – that’s important. And you know it takes a mix of people to do amazing work, so you love collaborating with and learning from people with different skills, backgrounds and perspectives. If you have an interesting or unusual mix of skills yourself, even better.
We’re expanding fast, so we’re looking for people who are, by which we mean natural initiative-takers who bring out the best in others, are brilliant listeners and can grow our business without compromising standards, integrity or culture.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you are expected to:
* Lead Deloitte technical teams, covering one or more of the following disciplines: deployment and configuration management, release management, technical cutover, environments management and infrastructure automation.
* Apply DevOps thinking - i.e. bringing development and IT ops processes, people and tools closer together - in order to increase the speed, efficiency and quality with which we deliver technical solutions to our clients.
* Architect a project or programme's Deployment Pipeline; the set of technical and business assurance activities that support the transition of application and infrastructure services from development through to production.
* • Define and execute a balanced management methodology that is capable of organising a diverse collection of technical activities into a coherent work stream.
* • Liaise with Deloitte and client development teams, IT service groups and 3rd parties to encourage process transparency, mutually beneficial design and delivery practices, and a clear view of roles and responsibilities across the Deployment Pipeline.
* • Provide DevOps thought leadership and mentoring in both advisory and delivery contexts, focusing on the requirements of our clients' customers and how these are best served by continuous improvements to our delivery approach.
Your service line: Consulting
Our people and the way we work are the two things that set us apart in the consulting universe. For us, collaboration is fundamental to success, along with an unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise. We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients’ trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
How will this role make an impact that matters with Deloitte?
Forecast and change the landscape of cyberspace, support clients to survive and prosper in this disruptive and ever increasingly digital age, while you support talented and more junior colleagues and impact the communities you operate within.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers Global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Risk Advisory, Tax, Consulting and Financial Advisory. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Visit our website to hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have received a Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016 as a Top Employer for Working Families.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
© 2019 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 166966