10 months ago
Senior Development Control EngineerBarnet. Permanenet and contract positions
The main purpose of the role is to lead and manage a team to discharge the Council’s responsibilities as a highway and planning authority in connection with a wide range of locally and strategically important development and regeneration schemes.
Role and Responsibilities
* Processing of full range of planning application consultations from small development to major regeneration schemes and carrying out transportation assessments for control of development within set time limits, including the assessment of geometric layouts of new developments.
* Providing transportation, traffic, highway and parking input to the Development Control process, focussing particularly on major sites and areas of strategic, London-wide significance
* Ensuring the integration of land use and transport policies, taking responsibility for the provision of transport input to Local Development Framework, Area Action Plans and Regeneration priority areas, which set the Council’s future land use strategy.
* Ensuring that the Council meets its obligations with regard to a range of statutory processes including public right of way, road adoptions, and maintenance of the Council’s highway records
* Maximising financial contributions from development to effectively mitigate the impact on local transport systems and to help meet the borough’s long-term transport infrastructure needs
* Managing and developing complex policies and programmes to promote and effectively deliver travel awareness and sustainable travel initiatives across the borough.
* Scoping of the requirement for traffic surveys and transport impact studies that may be required for the assessment of planning applications
* Appraisal of information on behalf of the Highways Authority and determine recommendations, including carrying out junction capacity calculations, network impact assessments and accident audits.
* Undertake engineering assessments of planning applications and provide the relevant information in report form the Traffic and Development Manager, Development Control and Senior Officers of the Planning Service and make suitable recommendations
* Attend Planning Committees; Pre-application meetings and provide advice on highway matters associated with planning applications.
* Provide written report for each application ensuring that national, regional and local advice is followed.
* Lead on the assessment of major applications in terms of highways input
* Represent the Local Highways Authority in the Local Planning Authorities defence of decisions through written representations; informal hearings and at Public Inquires.
* Provide advice on a day to day basis about development constraints and opportunities within the Borough.
* Managing of highway applications associated with highway development control process including dealing with S184, S38, S278 applications under the Highways Act 1980
* Managing of Stopping Up applications, Highway Licences, Projection Licences under the Highways Act 1980 and Town and Country Planning Act 1990
* Must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in traffic / highway engineering / transport and development planning
* General knowledge of planning, development and transport policies and associated legislation
* Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects / applications simultaneously from inception to completion
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Good IT skills
* Good time /budgetary management skills
* Working knowledge of basic legislation
* Confident self motivating and innovative
* Able to work without close supervision
What’s in it for you?
At Capita, training and development aren’t optional extras: they’re how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you 23 day’s holidays, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process – click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.