about 1 year ago
Senior Design Engineer - Research
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Design Engineer in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner and recent investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
Reporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
* Deliver design solutions that are innovative / novel with strong / high value IP for Dyson products.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
* Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
* Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
* Be a source of design engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues. Use that expertise to coach team members and grow skills within the group
* Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs. Review and approve work completed by others
* Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas for future motor parts and layouts for associated products that meet specification requirements
* Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs
* Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met
* Create and manage your time and the team’s using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated to the overall project plan, managed by the Project Manager regularly as well as efficiently.
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
* Identify skills or knowledge gaps within the team and support the Mechanical Manager with recruitment as required
* Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships with technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BOM and assembly costs throughout a project
* Assist in the manufacture of prototype motors and sub-system test rigs as necessary to support motor development.
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* Expert knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages, basic working knowledge of analytical techniques for mechanical systems, including Finite Element.
* Knowledge of a broad range of bearing technologies
* Good understanding of statistics and be able to use statistics as a tool on engineering decision making
* Strong technical expertise with breadth and depth ideally covering material selection (including composites), design for high loading and fatigue, and thermal management.
* Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
* Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
* DFMEA, failure analysis & problem solving capability
* Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously, work in a cross-functional team environment, and demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done
* Have the ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
* Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable mechanical system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
* Strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques and common issues with these plus experience in manual and automated assembly techniques • Appreciation of complying with national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation
* Expert knowledge of tolerance stack analysis and the use of GD&T Desirable experience:
* Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
* Experience in prototype manufacture and test.
* Assembly supplier selection
Essential behavioural skills:
* The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction
* Technically lead teams of engineers • Good analytical ability and attention to detail
* Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
* Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products
* To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
* Excellent team working skills.
In order to increase your chances of being short listed please ensure you submit a supporting statement in addition to your CV clearly addressing how you meet the essential & desirable criteria as outlined above, plus details of your current and required package.