about 1 year ago
Senior Design Engineer - Energy Storage
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
There is a requirement for a Senior CAD Design Engineer to join the process development team to further develop the processes required to progress technology established in research through to pilot scale manufacture. This role is to become part of the team that is going to succeed in overcoming these challenges by using the experience, engineering excellence, clear thinking as well as innovative designs to keep the company at the leading edge of this technology.
Dyson has an objective to establish competitive advantage for its cord-free products through superior battery performance. This is complementary to Dyson’s Digital Motors, as the combination of highly efficient motors with the highest performance batteries results in products which have potential to outperform the competition on metrics including: Efficiency; Run Time; Cycle life; and Charge Time.
Dyson now researches and develops batteries which deliver a step performance advantage over conventional cells, through new battery architectures, materials, chemistries, and cell designs. These new technologies come from multiple sources, including: University Research; Internal Research; Technology Scouting and Collaborations with external organisations. The Dyson Energy Storage team hence has a growing portfolio of R&D projects, ranging from early research through to late stage development towards series production.
Capability of setting up procedures & processes for the design of complex electrochemical cells and packs; to include :
Safety (FMEA / dFMEA)
* Oversight of Design implications from HAZOP reviews
* Ability to deal with dynamic fluctuations of specifications
* Design of process development equipment & pilot manufacturing processes for energy storage devices
* Multi-stage unit operations; timings & work-flow
Design Projects to include :
* Laboratory design, including services, facilities & footprint
* Product (Cell) design for manufacture
* Pilot, Pre-pilot and Production line design implications
A confident dynamic design engineer with > 5 years’ experience, preferably working in either solar, electronics, materials development, OLED, fuel-cell or battery industries. Self-starter but also a hands-on. Numerically confident and capable. Embraces clear direction and able to maintain focus and has a track record of delivering to their objectives. Has worked in a fast-paced development environment and has the capability to think on their feet.
* Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
* 5 years’ experience designing commodity products for high volume manufacture
* Excellent organisation & project management skills, with the ability to effectively manage individual and team time.
* Post-graduate degree
* Project progression – Has taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions
* Process Development for manufacture including demonstrated decision influencing.
* Product & process engineering for quality & value with demonstrated improvements
* Experienced CAD user / designer
* Prototyping & development of processes - Metal working, assembly, design (CAD), electronics
* Communicate clearly and effectively results and project statues to all associated project members.
* Ability to understand overall concept and contribute to design generation through knowledge of the latest technologies and industry methods.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.