about 1 month ago
Senior Design Engineer (EMC/system design)
* York, United Kingdom
Siemens Rail Electrification are seeking outstanding EMC and System Design Engineers to help drive forward the largest electrification projects in the UK. You will be part of the technical excellence and innovation delivering safety and driving down the cost of electrifying UK railways.
Based out of our York offices and working alongside the best in the industry, you will be part of a dynamic team that is redefining what is possible in Railway Electrification.
What are my Responsibilities?
* Continually develop technical and industry knowledge including new technology.
* Participate in knowledge sharing and collaborative working within a team of experts.
* Facilitate and deliver project EMC deliverables (strategies, hazards, control plans etc) at all stages of the project lifecycle.
* Support EMC compatibility assessments of trains and infrastructure
* Undertake system design activity to identify options and recommend solutions for rail electrification, considering cost, capability, operability, maintainability, and safety of the integrated system design including:
* Traction power design
* Earthing and bonding design
* Interface with other disciplines, particularly protection and control
* Assure quality of deliverables as required.
* Provide functional support and guidance to the Design Delivery Manager and others within the team on all aspects of Traction Power Design within allocated projects.
* Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects.
* Identify the required budget provision for allocated projects to enable sufficient financial authority to be gained.
* Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
* Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
* Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training.
* Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
* Focus on individual and team development through the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and through the management of poor performance.
* Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
* Perform duties as directed by Management from time to time in connection with traction power design activities.
* Support problem solving and site engineering when required.
What Skills and Qualifications do I need for this role?
* Commitment to improving safety, reliability and cost of electrified railways
* An Engineering Degree or HND minimum.
* Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
* Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate and adapt alternative new technologies
* Able to contribute and work within a team of industry-leading engineers in an environment willing to challenge and be challenged in pursuit of excellence
* Experience in all aspects of the design and implementation of rail high voltage traction power systems with particular emphasis on the preparation and checking of designs
* Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
* Excellent communication and presentation skills.
* Excellent understanding of task, time and people management.
* Working towards Chartered Engineer Status
* Broad experience including multidisciplinary railway maintenance and operations
* Good commercial awareness and knowledge of contract conditions.
* Experience of authoring EMC deliverables, facilitating EMC processes, and delivering railway traction power design
* Understanding of Protection and Control
* Experience in high voltage Testing & Commissioning activities
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 372,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 120394
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time