11 months ago
Note for Recruitment Agencies:
We prefer to hire directly, but we do have an approved supplier list for when we’d like a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
The Senior Design Engineer will be responsible for the production and checking of temporary works designs and for managing a design team within one of the Central Engineering Services regional teams.
The role will report to the Regional Technical Manager or Principal Design Engineer and work alongside other Senior Design Engineers and operational teams working on tenders and live construction projects. The role will also liaise with organisations outside Galliford Try including consultants, subcontractors & suppliers.
This is an important role with responsibility for managing the work of a design team (Design Engineers and Graduate and Trainee Design Engineers) within one of the regional Central Engineering Services teams. As such the role requires a determined and enthusiastic Chartered or Incorporated Civil or Structural Engineer with excellent communication skills.
About the team
Central Engineering Services is an in-house team of approximately 20 engineers providing support to preconstruction and project teams throughout Galliford Try. It acts as an internal consultant and customers pay for the services provided based on agreed hourly charge-out rates. The key focus of the team is the provision of a high quality service leading to strong relationships with all parts of the business and generating repeat work.
Central Engineering Services provides design and design checking services for a full range of temporary works requirements from excavations and working platforms to formwork, falsework & scaffolding. Site based TWCs & TWSs are also supported through training courses, participation in technical reviews, site visits where required and audits to check compliance with the temporary works procedure. Services provided also include alternative solutions, value engineering, buildability and problem/defect resolution including specification compliance issues.
The team is based in the Grangemouth, Matlock, Solihull & Uxbridge offices and whilst meetings and site visits will be carried out by someone from the nearest office, work can be allocated to engineers in any office dependent on availability and expertise.
Key Accountabilities of role
• Ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with CDM 2015 and the Galliford Try Construction Business Management System so that the necessary standards of Safety, Quality & Environmental Management are achieved
• Attend meetings and site visits to proactively identify and agree scope of CES services for specific tenders and projects
• Ensure appropriate checking strategies are implemented for all design output prior to issue
• Initiate design reviews in accordance with BMS procedure
• Ensure that designs and design checks are completed on time and within fee estimates
• Prepare and/or check design output and supervise the preparation and/or checking of design output by other members of the CES team or by external design organisations
• Produce and/or supervise the production of drawings, schedules etc. based on the results of design output
Take a proactive approach to own Continuing Professional Development and the Continuing Professional Development of others to maintain and advance own technical capability and that of the CES team as a whole
Skills & Competency Requirements
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Good team worker but also able to work under own initiative
• Determined, enthusiastic, conscientious with good attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure and prioritise to meet deadlines
• Flexibility and willingness to travel throughout the UK
• Proven track record of managing teams
Technical / Professional Expertise and Qualifications Required
• Professionally qualified membership of ICE/IStructE at chartered or incorporated engineer level
• Degree in civil and/or structural engineering at bachelors or masters level or equivalent
• Sound knowledge of structural mechanics
• Good understanding of soil mechanics
• Design experience either working for a contractor, subcontractor, specialist supplier or consultant
• Experienced in use of structural analysis software
• Experienced in use of geotechnical software
• Full driving licence
• Experienced in use of computer aided draughting software
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast paced environment where each day brings new challenges as well as a competitive salary and benefits package.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
We are one of the UK’s leading housebuilding and construction groups. For 100 years, Galliford Try has helped to shape the world around us and today we are at the forefront of the construction industry with approximately 5,500 employees working on a huge range of housebuilding and construction projects. As a FTSE 250 listed UK business, our focus is on delivering first class business solutions and building long-term relationships with our customers, employees, supply chain and communities we work in. Our involvement in some of the UK's most high profile and innovative projects ensures our employees benefit from unrivalled opportunities and career progression.
As a major UK contractor our Construction Division has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. The Division boasts a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. It predominately operates under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and is organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community
Primary Location: West Midlands
Organization: Construction & Investments
Job Type: Experienced
Job Posting: Jul 10, 2019, 12:40:17 PM